• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Stanton Moore - Drumset Clinics

Started by Bart Elliott, February 19, 2010, 07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Donn Bennett Drum Studio is hosting a clinic/masterclass with Galactic's Stanton Moore. Coming all the way from New Orleans, Moore is best known as one of the founding members of the funk outfit Galactic, but that is certainly not all he's known for. Having played with groups ranging from heavy-metal band Corrosion of Conformity, avant-jazz group Garage A Trois, hip-hop/rock group Street Sweeper Social Club, and his own group the Stanton Moore Trio, Moore has exhibited proficiency in all genres of music.

He is also a well renowned educator, having produced in conjunction with Carl Fischer the "Take it to the Street" Book/DVD series, in which he dives into the roots of New Orleans second line and how to apply it to contemporary music. He will also be unveiling his new project entitled "Groove Alchemy" in April, which I'm sure he will talk about at the class.

Space is limited, so call (425) 747-6145 to reserve a spot today; $20 per person.

David Stanoch

If you haven't seen Stanton do a clinic and can be there, don't miss it.
His drumming is infectious and really can light up a room. I'm telling you!

He's a great communicator and soooo relaxed. You'll be a better drummer before you even get home to hit the skins and believe me, you'll want to because he's so inspiring!

Love that dude. He's the Man!

Dave Heim

Quote from: David Stanoch on February 19, 2010, 09:08 PM
If you haven't seen Stanton do a clinic and can be there, don't miss it.
His drumming is infectious and really can light up a room. I'm telling you!

He's a great communicator and soooo relaxed. You'll be a better drummer before you even get home to hit the skins and believe me, you'll want to because he's so inspiring!

Love that dude. He's the Man!

Agreed!   Take a peek at Stanton's clips on DrummerWorld.  He does some cool stuff with RRLRRLRL.  Check out his work with Galactica and Trio.  He also does a few numbers on some of Bonerama's CDs.

Mark Pedersen

I am really "jazzed" to see him in Portland also. He is doing a clinic at the local 5 star shop, Rhythm Traders, here in P-town on the 27th.

Bill Bachman

His drumming always makes me smile. There's just a certain non-competitive & creatively fun joy to it. I love it!

Todd Norris

It only took one listen to one of his CD's to put him into my top 5 all time faves.  He's come through Phoenix a few times for Galactic concerts, but hasn't done a clinic.  Stanton if you see this - DO A CLINIC IN PHOENIX!

David Stanoch

Quote from: Bill Bachman on February 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
His drumming always makes me smile. There's just a certain non-competitive & creatively fun joy to it. I love it!

I agree and that's a terrific point of view, Bill. A central element of what makes Stanton special in my book is his deliberately inclusive way of not only combining his influences and adding something fresh to the gumbo, but also letting everyone in on who he digs and why.

Years ago, I was always impressed with the way Jeff Porcaro would do the same thing. Jeff was open and informative about his influences and that, in and of itself, was a lesson for me not only in drumming but in character. I strive to represent the same model myself because I really believe in the quote by Max Roach you can read at the bottom of my avatar here.

Stanton does his thing and shares it with everyone. He'll give you everything he's got without looking over his shoulder and that's most impressive.

We all share the same information. Imagination is the key in putting it together. Beyond that, being a stand up person who has it and can deliver it like Stanton can is the icing on the cake for me.

There's a few simple reasons Stanton Moore strides easily through the top of this industry. Talent, imagination, LOTS of hard work, sincerity, an extremely high work ethic and total transparency. It doesn't hurt that he possesses seemingly tireless energy, either!

Check out what Clyde Stubblefield says about him in Stanton's cover story feature in the 3/10 issue of Modern Drummer. Clyde sums it up beautifully, as only he can.

Bart Elliott

To see Stanton's clinic tour dates/locations as well as performance schedule ...
http://www.stantonmoore.com/schedule/]http://www.stantonmoore.com/schedule/

You can also check out the Drummer Cafe - Event Calendar, which includes Stanton's clinics (and others), complete with address and additional info. With this calendar you can download calendar dates and add them to your PDA or computer calendar.

Bill Bachman

He's coming to Fork's in Nashville (actually soundcheck rehearsal studios) on the 10th, I'm 99% sure I'll be there. Anyone else?

Hannah Ford

I'm so excited! 

Stanton is one of my favorite guys to work with!  His knowledge of jazz history is amazing.  In addition to sharing history, the one thing that I think I was most impressed with was his (how do I say this without laughing) touch. Stanton says that timpani lessons helped him with his approach a lot.

I heard from Stanton earlier this week and we're going to hang for a while before his clinic at Steve Maxwell's shop here in Chicago on March 13th.

I feel so fortunate to have made friends with people like Stanton that are well respected, great players and very knowledgable about our craft.  By the way Bart, you're part of that circle as well...still waiting for my lesson with you.  Gotta get Nashville on the schedule!

Hope to see you Chicago DC'rs at Stanton's clinic on the 13th.

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

Larry Rankine

I'm sure y'all know that Stanton has a new DVD being released next month.  Bart, you ever get those things "pre-release" for review purposes?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Larry Rankine on March 04, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm sure y'all know that Stanton has a new DVD being released next month.  Bart, you ever get those things "pre-release" for review purposes?

Often times I do, but the release date isn't until the middle of April. I received the press release the other day and have it ready to go, but since you can pre-order the DVD yet, I've held off on posting it just yet.  :)

Larry Rankine

Cool!  The preview looks awesome!

Bart Elliott

Here you go:

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/news/stanton-moore-groove-alchemy.html

They finally have both the DVD and CD available as a pre-order, so I've posted the press release here at the Drummer Cafe. I've included a video preview on the page as well.

dizz

I love players like Stanton whom, sound so unique at the same time fully paying homage to the history and pioneers that precede all of us.  I believe this video to be from the clinic tour cited here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jncm3t6SMWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jncm3t6SMWA

cool stuff :)

Bart Elliott

Good news ... Stanton has given the Drummer Cafe permission to cover his Nashville clinic this Wednesday.

donelk

Mark Pedersen

Quote from: Don Elkington on March 08, 2010, 04:02 PM
I love this news!

Don - you could of drove up on the 27th and seen it in person! LOL!

Very cool news. Looking forward to the new book/DVD he is putting out.

donelk

Mark, I had a rehearsal!    :(

Bart Elliott

Great clinic by Stanton tonight here in Nashville. If you get a chance, please go see his clinic; you'll be glad you did.

Stanton was gracious and allowed the Drummer Cafe exclusive coverage of his clinic. I've got two hours worth of footage. I'll be putting a report together in the next few days and airing it on Drummer Cafe TV. If you would like to see the entire clinic, you'll find it in the Premium Resources very soon.

Here's one of my photos from tonight.

I've got a few more photos on the Drummer Cafe Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=212014&id=15316707626&ref=mf]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=212014&id=15316707626&ref=mf