• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Local Snakes

Started by Chris Whitten, March 08, 2010, 05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Whitten

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/6907330/man-bitten-twice-in-face-by-brown-snake/

Aberdeen is just up the road from me.
We had a red belly black snake in a pot plant outside our front door a few weeks ago.
Not so bad, as they are usually less aggressive, don't like brown snakes and reputedly keep the brown snakes away. The brown snake is by far the most dangerous.
Guaranteed we have at least one brown snake in our grounds.
Fortunately they slide away if they hear you coming.
Which is why I never charge across a field, or walk in dense undergrowth without thick, high sided boots on and looking ahead to see where I'm going to step next.

lopan

I just HAD to read the story to find out how he was bitten in the face. Years ago when I lived in Texas, you had to be wary of Rattle Snakes when walking in the fields, but at least most times they warn you.

Chris Whitten

The story didn't say did it.
It said after midnight, and also that the victim owned the snake.
So I'm guessing some sloppy handling was involved, possibly with alcohol as an element (knowing this area).
Why you would want to own one of the world's deadliest snakes, when it is already widespread in the area (not as if it's a rare Amazonian specimen etc) I can't imagine.

Mark Pedersen

Deathly afraid of snakes so no living in the outback for me! I am even afraid of Gardener snakes!!

Chip Donaho

Not a problem, just have know who you're dealing with. Every part of the world has it's local snakes. Just like people, they bite.  :)

Chris Whitten

To be fair, it's not an issue in the UK, barely at all in most of Europe.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

I almost stepped on a 6-foot Mohave rattler in the backyard in the middle of the night. Coiled up underneath the water spigot. Decided to warn me only after I stepped over it ... then I ran in the opposite direction like a crazy person. Unfortunately that direction was against the fence and not back towards the house.

That morning I took a shovel and chopped its head off. I think, given time, it could have swallowed and digested me. Rattler was longer than my index finger and about as fat as my thumb.

Chris Whitten

It's completely illegal to kill them here.

People stepping on snakes at night is about the number one reported incidence (my partner is an ICU nurse).

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Chris Whitten on March 09, 2010, 03:58 PM

People stepping on snakes at night is about the number one reported incidence (my partner is an ICU nurse).

Oh, it's illegal to kill them here in Arizona, but I wasn't going to let my nieces or nephews become a victim to a snake who chose my backyard over a 640-acre open desert field. And I guess I was just a little irritated it didn't warn me sooner.

My best guess is it moved into my backyard to die. It was so big it had to be a very old snake, and a younger snake would have (1) warned me sooner, (2) bit me on passing, and (3) fled the scene immediately. So I don't feel so guilty.

Chris Whitten

The farmer next door to us said he did a deal with the snakes.
"You stay off my land, and I'll leave you alone".

A few weeks ago when the dangerous snake was curled up in a plant by our front door we did the right thing and called the snake catcher.
They said they wouldn't come out unless we had continuing visual contact with the snake.
They don't have time to hunt them down themselves.
They are a thirty minute drive away. Five minutes after hanging up the phone the snake took off. I followed it, but it went through a vent under the house and I couldn't keep visual contact unless I too went under the house (confined space).
So we had to call the catcher back and cancel the request to come out.
The usual good idea that doesn't really work in practice.
The snake could still be under the house, there's plenty of frogs and mice around.

lopan

Quote from: Chris Whitten on March 08, 2010, 09:09 PM
The story didn't say did it.
It said after midnight, and also that the victim owned the snake.
So I'm guessing some sloppy handling was involved, possibly with alcohol as an element (knowing this area).
Why you would want to own one of the world's deadliest snakes, when it is already widespread in the area (not as if it's a rare Amazonian specimen etc) I can't imagine.

No, but when they said it belonged to the victim, I assumed it was a domestic dispute between the reptile and careless owner. I also question why anyone would want to own a  poisonous critter such as that. 

Chris Whitten

I saw today the owner was a 'snake handler'.
Also today, warnings for state residents to be extremely careful.
Warm, wet weather has brought snakes out hunting for food.
Something like five serious bites in the last 24 hours in my state. Snake bites are usually uncommon.

smoggrocks

see, man? that's the thing about down under. i always have this romantic sense of the place--even have a 'where the bloody hell are ya?' tourism card on my fridge--but then i remember the host of prehistoric goodies you guys have got down there, and think, hmmm...maybe i don't need to make the 24-hour voyage to oz.

snakes freak the holy shanoly outta me!

dizz

lol when I read the title, I thought this thread was going to be about local band leaders and managers and other administrative money grubbing scammers and a few people I've met in my travels came to mind.  >:(

Anyway luckily for me, I don't have to deal with real snakes in my area much.  They do exist but I don't venture into their niche.  Be careful - for the managers and bandleaders too haha.

Bob Pettit

Quote from: Chris Whitten on March 09, 2010, 03:58 PM

Too bad governments won't let people think/act for themselves. I would not hurt a poisonous snake in the wild, but if they are around the house where they might bite the dog or kids, then they are fair game. Geeze, the idea of waiting for the official snake catcher to show up seems so foreign to me.... the gov doing what's best left for me to do myself.

Bob Pettit

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 09, 2010, 03:43 PM
I almost stepped on a 6-foot Mohave rattler in the backyard in the middle of the night. Coiled up underneath the water spigot. Decided to warn me only after I stepped over it ... then I ran in the opposite direction like a crazy person. Unfortunately that direction was against the fence and not back towards the house.

That morning I took a shovel and chopped its head off. I think, given time, it could have swallowed and digested me. Rattler was longer than my index finger and about as fat as my thumb.

Where you live Gaddabout? I have Mojave rattlers around my place in Las Vegas. We've seen two of them in the last weeks while out on horse back. They hold their ground and rise up and rattle. I hop off the horse, have Cindy hold him, and go check the snake out closer, but out there just leave them alone. I do worry about my dog. I try to 'snake proof' my dogs by letting an non-poisonous but aggressive gopher snake bite them on the nose, but this last dog 'Bongo' hasn't got the treatment yet, haven't had a good mean gopher snake to teach him.

My house is on the edge of the desert. If any come into my yard I'll do the same as you. We've scorpions and black widows too.

Mark Counts

This was a really cool thread to read guys. I haven't been on here for awhile so I just caught it. My son loves snakes. This guy here is an X police officer. He runs this place in Eastern Kentucky by Natural Bridge. We got to watch him hand milk about 110 Rattle Snakes one day. He does this with many different types. It is a fun place to visit. He has cobras, Big Browns, Gibbon Vipers, etc. etc. He sends the venom to labs to make anti venom. He is missing parts of his fingers because of snake bites. Said he has been bitten 15 times. Check it out.  http://www.kyreptilezoo.org/.]http://www.kyreptilezoo.org/.