• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Drum "Survival" kit

Started by Larry Rankine, April 03, 2010, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rankine

Did a search and found the last time anyone asked about this appeared to be in 2003.  Just wondering if there have been additions to the list of things that gigging drummers carry in the "just in case" bag.  Here's what I've got on the list:

Snare heads (batter and reso)
Snare wire set
Kick Heads (batter and reso)
Port rings (for us EMAD users)
Tools (drum key, multi-tool, etc)
Duct tape
Felts
Cymbal sleeves
Wing nuts (for everything)
First aid stuff (advil, bandaids)

Am I forgetting anything?

Bart Elliott

• Snare wire string and/or strap.
  • Lubricating oil and/or WD-40 for squeaky pedals, etc.
  • Several tension rods (assorted lengths & threads) w/washers.
  • Kick drum pedal spring (assorted)

Maybe some extra earplugs, which I already have in the stickbag.

Susan Wood

1.Extra tee shirt.
2.Sunscreen, sunglasses,and hat if gig is outside.
3. Something to cover drums if it rains.

lopan

I carry an extra snare as opposed to just taking snare parts. It's much faster to replace the whole snare than to interrupt the event to change a head. I also carry an extra pedal.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Michael Galvez on April 03, 2010, 03:14 PM
I carry an extra snare as opposed to just taking snare parts. It's much faster to replace the whole snare than to interrupt the event to change a head. I also carry an extra pedal.

True, but sometimes that luxury isn't possible. One example being fly-dates. I can't fly with an extra Snare drum and Kick pedal; sometimes I can't fly with any gear. When there's back-line gear provided, whatever I bring is my "back-up" or emergency gear ... or actually the other way around ... I use what I brought and use the provided duplicate gear as the back-up.

Another example, recording sessions. Sometimes that particular being used is what the producer wants; period. Replacing for another drum may not be acceptable, especially if there's a problem in the middle of an incredible take or again, if the producer or engineer (or even the drummer) wants that particular drum.

For bar gigs and most live shows, sure, swapping out the pedal or Snare drum is just fine.

What do you do if your Kick drumhead breaks? Although rare, perhaps, it does happen. When possible, I keep an extra Kick drumhead with me; leaving it in the vehicle. If you are on the road, traveling, extra heads, parts, etc., are always brought along. There's not a pro drum shop in every town, let alone a store that has exactly what you need ... and is open till midnight.  8)

I think each musician needs to think things through, thoroughly, and determine what "survival" items are a "must have" for each gig. If you can bring everything with you, great, but if not, you'll have to determine what is an absolute and what isn't.

Bart Elliott

One last item to mention ... keep your vehicle in good working condition! Check the tires, fuel and oil levels, etc., on a regular basis. The last thing you want is to have a break-down while in route.

In Nashville it is very common to have multiple back to back gigs (well, when the economy is good) and you can't have vehicle problems when there's only minutes to get to the next gig or session. I had a mishap last fall and I felt like a complete idiot. I got a flat tire the day before a gig; no big deal, just used the spare tire. But the next day, on the way to my gig, another tire blew ... and I was without a spare. I didn't take the time to do the right thing, and just took a chance. I had to call my wife to come get me and take me onto the gig ... after I transferred my gear to the other vehicle. I arrived to the gig during the first tune, but still had to set-up. Even though I left a time cushion, the gig wasn't close to my house, and traffic was really bad. I'm embarrassed that after 30+ years as a professional musician, I still made this error. Never again. Luckily the gig was with close musician friends who forgave my negligence.  :-\

Jon E

I know I should have more drum provisions at a gig, but they've really pared down over the years. 

I have an extra kick head (that has been in my BD case for so long it's probably dry rotted!) and I think I have an extra snare batter (see note about kick head). If I was smart I'd just keep an extra pedal in the truck all the time.  Aside from an extra pair of sticks, that about does it for me.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Larry Rankine on April 03, 2010, 01:40 PM
Did a search and found the last time anyone asked about this appeared to be in 2003.  Just wondering if there have been additions to the list of things that gigging drummers carry in the "just in case" bag.  Here's what I've got on the list:

Snare heads (batter and reso)
Snare wire set
Kick Heads (batter and reso)
Port rings (for us EMAD users)
Tools (drum key, multi-tool, etc)
Duct tape
Felts
Cymbal sleeves
Wing nuts (for everything)
First aid stuff (advil, bandaids)

Am I forgetting anything?

Flashlight
pens/markers
small metronome
ear protection/in-ears
business cards

William Leslie

YES to Business Cards. I went to a short meeting with the new Corp. that just bought the local Country Club. I reached for one of my cards and came up empty handed. You just can't feel more foolish than that unless your barn door was left open.

Larry Rankine

Gonna have to wait until we decide on a band name before I get any business cards.   ;D

Jon E

QuoteGonna have to wait until we decide on a band name.....

Now that's a whole other thread!! 

DoubleC

I keep business cards in my wallet because I never go anywhere without it.  But I guess it doesn't hurt to keep extra ones in the survival kit. 

My church just asked me to use my vdrums on a regular basis so I have a feeling my survival kit is going to change.

cc

Big Yummy

Quote from: Dave Heim on April 03, 2010, 07:02 PM
Flashlight

A nice, big flashlight.  That's the best addition I've made to my gear in years.

I carry some super sticky aluminum foil tape, just in case I break a drum head.

As a courtesy, it's nice to carry a spare 9 volt battery.

donelk

The nine volt battery made me think. I'm often providing extra/replacement stuff to other musicians on the gig. Mic cable, 1/4" cable, repairs with my multi-tool or black duct tape.   :)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Don Elkington on April 08, 2010, 03:19 PM
The nine volt battery made me think. I'm often providing extra/replacement stuff to other musicians on the gig. Mic cable, 1/4" cable, repairs with my multi-tool or black duct tape.   :)

Keep that 9-volt battery away from other metal objects!

Years ago I had placed a 9-volt battery in my pocket before going on stage for an outdoor concert. Started playing the gig only to suddenly feel like my leg was on fire! The battery contacts had been shorted by my drum key ... in the same pocket. You should have seen the little dance I was doing on the drum throne, trying to maintain my groove, all while trying to shake and manipulate that battery lose. Whew!

Jon E

Bart, I hate to laugh at your 9-volt story, but having witnessed a guitar player's "9-volt Jig" in person, it really brought back a fun memory!!   :P

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Jon E on April 10, 2010, 07:32 AM
having witnessed a guitar player's "9-volt Jig" in person
More than once or twice....  ;D

Rylie

I find that I bring more guitar related stuff like strings, strap, cable...even tubes, lately. Our guitarist is the most talented musician in the band, but he is quite absent minded and is always needing something when we get to a gig.

I'd rather play the gig on time than teach him a lesson, so I plan ahead.

As far as drum stuff, I bring pretty much what's been listed here, including one of those miner's head-strap lights, First Aid Kit, ViseGrips, small ratcheting bar clamp, tie wraps, all-in-one screwdriver, and super-glue. Most of this stuff stays in my truck, so it's not like I carry all of it to the stage every time.