Topic: no cartilage in thumbs  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Hank Gagnon

• Cafe VIP
no cartilage in thumbs
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Do you, in your opinion, think that playing drums a couple hours per week or less would damage both thumbs. i use a match grip. I'm not a heavy hitter. The past 28 yrs i have been a maint. tech and painter. primarily i rehab vacant apartments for incoming tenants. this is for low income and elderly. I have been drumming for about 5.5yrs.. the drumming doesn't bother my thumbs it's painting, sanding, and constant manual labor. thanks

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: no cartilage in thumbs
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:21 PM »
I remember when you posted this before, and I'll say the same thing that I believe I said then ... I don't think this is possible.

I'm not a doctor, but I do, however, have a background in Kinesiology. If you were going to have stress to the body, it's typically going to be in the joints/tendons that experience heavy or repetitive impacts.

Every body is different, and being that I've never actually seen how you hold the drumsticks, how you strike the drum, etc., it's difficult for me to tell you with any certainty that your drumming hasn't caused this.

I can tell you that I've been playing drums for over 30 years, and playing many hours per day, and my thumbs haven't had issue because of it. However, I've painted a few homes and rooms in all my days, and every time my thumbs are killing me.

If an employer or insurance company is refuting your claim(s), and insist it's your drumming, tell them that they don't know what they are talking about, are completely making assumptions (to protect themselves), and need to come up with proof from research or reports to validate their stance.

I'm not saying drumming couldn't damage your thumbs; there are aliments from playing the drums. But the fact that you are a painter by trade, that's where I would start looking for the cause of your pain and/or thumb issue(s). It's the thing that you do every day, numerous hours at a time, that should be on the top of the list for a problem like yours.

Offline Hank Gagnon

• Cafe VIP
Re: no cartilage in thumbs
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:16 PM »
thanks for your speedy reply. my orthopedic wrote a letter for me saying it's work related. the doctor for workplace health says its age related. my advocate says now it boils down to which is more believable. i should be going for a hearing soon.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram