• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Recovery from broken lower leg - Any encouraging words out there?

Started by DrumnDad, August 21, 2010, 10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumnDad

I broke my leg on Dec. 27, 2009 as a result of a snowtubing accident (yes, it is possible; excessive ice, etc.).  I dislocated my ankle and broke my leg in five places; spiral fractures are pretty bad, too.  Surgery was required and I now have a metal plate and fifteen screws in there.  I am dealing with drop foot, but a device from dynasplint is helping with the dorsiflexion (ability to raise the ankle upwards).

It is my right leg, and I have switched to playing the kick with my left leg.  At church, I use electronic drums and moved the kick to the left and have the hi hat set so the main zone is closed HH and the rim zone is open HH.  I have really increased my power with the left leg, which was badly needed anyway. But the right leg is not the same.

Anyway, have any of you dealt with this type of injury?  It has been eight months, and I still use a cane and limp quite a bit.  I have tried to use the right leg on the kick, but it is a little painful and I don't have the range of motion I once had.  Playing still brings me joy, I just have to adjust a little.

Any advice is appreciated.  I went to PT for 24 sessions (all that is allowed by insurance) and will have the dynasplint until Sept. 1.  The past eight months have been horrible, but I can at least walk some now.  If you have a success story, let's hear it. Thanks for listening!

Doug

Chip Donaho

I went through a car accident, which left me with rods in my left leg and screws in my right hip. That was over 3 years ago....I now walk with a cane, but can still play if I take my right leg brace off and just use regular shoes. Hey, I'm not up to hard rock thump-in at high speed. But I can still play country and funk. One thing I've learned is to go to an audition without my cane. But when they find out my age, I still have the same problem. "You play good, but you're as old as my Dad." Might as well use my cane to beat sense into their head.  :-\

lopan

Have you asked your doctor what he thinks about your starting back to drumming with the right foot? I had a shoulder separation years ago and it took several PT sessions and slow easy work (stretching and resistance exercises) on my own to get my range of motion back.

Chip Donaho

I asked my doctor about playing drums again. He told me I had to quit downhill skiing, and dirt bike racing. But he thought that playing drums was a great way to exercise.  8)

DrumnDad

Quote from: Michael Galvez on August 23, 2010, 07:52 PM
Have you asked your doctor what he thinks about your starting back to drumming with the right foot? I had a shoulder separation years ago and it took several PT sessions and slow easy work (stretching and resistance exercises) on my own to get my range of motion back.

I mentioned it early on, and he kind of shrugged his shoulders and didn't really give an answer but "Wait and see".  I go back next week and I will ask again.

Chip, I agree with the whole deal with the cane.  I just turned 47 yesterday and have always been in good health, but now I hear people at work and church referring to me as an old man.  Due to swelling, I have to wear extra wide velcro shoes, too, which doesn't help matters much.  I have been tempted to use the cane to knock sense into a few of the naysayers, but haven't. ;)

Thank you for your replies.

Doug

Daniel Heier

Hey!

I don't know if you have heard of Jason Gerling (there was a topic or thread about him on drummer cafe a while back) but he has one of the must amazing success stories I have ever heard. His situation was much more extreme from what I gather but you both have adapted to your situation and made the best out of it. Here is the link

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/09/paralyzed.drummer.invention/index.html?hpt=Sbino]http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/09/paralyzed.drummer.invention/index.html?hpt=Sbino

Enjoy!

DrumnDad

That's a very encouraging story.  Thank you for sharing that with us!  :)

Doug