• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Mic inside bass drum: Room sound?

Started by Bill Bachman, December 28, 2011, 05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bachman

Hey guys, what are your opinions/experiences on the room sound's effect (or lack there of) on the bass drum sound with the mic placed inside the drum?

I recorded something in a friend's house and the bass drum sound wasn't too happening with a beta 52 tucked in the port. I switched to an Audix D6 (those are my two bass mic options) in the same position and it sounded much better. Are the mic's pre-EQ'd that differently? Would the room start to make no difference at all if it was placed farther inside?

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: Bill Bachman on December 28, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, what are your opinions/experiences on the room sound's effect (or lack there of) on the bass drum sound with the mic placed inside the drum?

I recorded something in a friend's house and the bass drum sound wasn't too happening with a beta 52 tucked in the port. I switched to an Audix D6 (those are my two bass mic options) in the same position and it sounded much better. Are the mic's pre-EQ'd that differently? Would the room start to make no difference at all if it was placed farther inside?

To me, the idea of micing a bass drum from the inside is to remove any of the room characteristics out of the recorded track (assuming that you've placed the mic well inside the bass drum).

I would propose that one mic worked better for you than another. Personally, I prefer Beta 52 mics outside of the drum and not in a port (that's what works for me).

Bill Bachman

Thanks Tim! Anyone else have thoughts on room sound & bass tone/mic placement? 

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: Bill Bachman on January 02, 2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks Tim! Anyone else have thoughts on room sound & bass tone/mic placement?

Actually Bill, you could double-mic the bass drum; one internal mic and one external (away from the port). Then, to bring them back into phase, you simply align waveforms (so that they match each other) in the DAW of your choice.

JeepnDrummer

My suggestion is to experiment.  For a couple of weeks I recorded two of my kits, moving the bass drum mic around (inside & outside the drum, various depths into the port, etc.) to see what effect it had.  The results were interesting.