• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"think its time for a change"

Started by Vintage Ludwig, March 25, 2011, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Ludwig

So I have always wanted to take up guitar in addition to playing drums/percussion.  My passion has always been drums, but guitar just seemed like so much fun and something I could do in my living room or whatever rather than having to go to the drum room. Even though I had never even picked up a guitar, I broke down and bought a new Les Paul standard and a Vox AC30 handwired amplifier. I am going to take lessons from a blues instructor in Murfreesboro.  I have always been a huge Duane Allman and Jimmy Page fan. So I bought a Coricidin pill bottle like Duane used for slide work and MAN, what a BLAST im having!

Ill NEVER give up playing drums, but the newness of the guitar makes me feel like I did in 1977 when I first had a go on a drum kit!!!!  As a kid I played violin, but jeez I hated that instrument. I really did it for my mother, but I remember I admired the kids who were playing saxophone in band practice lol.......so, who else here plays any other instrument besides drums?

Oh, I almost forgot that I am blown away how much guitar stuff sells for. Compared to drums, drums are pretty dawg gone affordable........except for some of my vintage snare drums and so forth

Todd Norris

No other instruments for me.  I'm always amazed at multi-instrumentalists for some reason.  I tried to play guitar a couple of years after I started drumming and it lasted just a few days. 

One of my teen students took up stand-up acoustic bass recently and he's doing great!  I'm really proud of him.  I always recommend kids do some piano and many of my kids already have a little piano under the belt when they start with me.  That helps A LOT! 

Chris Whitten

Good on ya.
Always wanted to learn guitar, but didn't have the patience. I can play a few basic chords however.
Piano is a pretty useful instrument to know your way around - in this age of computer music and midi etc.....

NY Frank

I play rhythm guitar and bass.   Well, I pretend, anyway.

Paicey

Ive always wanted to be a guitar player...always. I think my personality is more suited to it. Even as a beginner when a guitar player would leave their instrument i was ecstatic to hold it, to feel what it felt like to play a chord. I got drums first as a teen and ive kept at it. Im an OK drummer....not great and its ate at me to this day. Even as we speak im considering putting the time in to become efficient at playing guitar. Deep down im hoping i can be that Dave Grohl that made the right choice.

Rusty Beckett

There are so many instruments I'd love to have the time to learn how to play well.  I can plink around on a piano and slowly read the music, I've played rhythm guitar in a bluegrass setting and I have a lot of fun on a hammered dulcimer.  I've always been attracted to the bass and if for some reason I had to change, my first choice would be the bass to focus on.  But, thankfully, I just love being a drummer. 

Vintage Ludwig

Yes indeed......one of the coolest aspects is that im FINALLY learning to read music. I had my 1st lesson this past saturday, and it went well. I need to work on my finger dexterity so I can fluidly move my fingers on the fingerboard. All in all Im having a blast!

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

If I could just go back and do it over...
Where I grew up most drummers looked down their noses at musicians. "We're not musicians, we're drummers." And the school music program didn't force you to learn melodics unless you wanted to. When I finally did attempt to take a music theory course in college I found it as hard as calculus, still do.
But living in a house full of bandmates had its advantages, their gear was always laying around. So I would pick up the guitar or bass and a delay pedal and approach it like a drummer. Eventually I had a real distinct style, my own, and some pretty respectable callouses. Years later my wife buys me an acoustic, and I figured I may as well learn some chords. Now I write and record songs and perfom on open mic nights on guitar. I can take an instrument and learn a part on it enough to record something, and I'm becoming pretty good on piano too, with my own style. Still wish I knew my theory and would get out of my comfort zone, but I'm still pretty happy in what I'm able to dabble in.

Chip Donaho

Our Army Band commander insisted that all drummers take music theory classes. When not playing gigs he had classes that he personally taught us. At the time I thought it was stupid. But as time went on I realized that many top drummers knew, or thought they knew, music theory.  ;)

Vintage Ludwig

Quote from: Chip Donaho on April 05, 2011, 08:02 AM
Our Army Band commander insisted that all drummers take music theory classes. When not playing gigs he had classes that he personally taught us. At the time I thought it was stupid. But as time went on I realized that many top drummers knew, or thought they knew, music theory.  ;)
I tend to think your Band Commander was exactly right! Im 50 years old and it took 30+ years of playing drums to realize that. About the only thing good about growing old is the WISDOM that comes with it!!!!

Jeff Bankston

several years ago i bought a fender "starcaster" for $75.00. the guitar player said the neck was really good. i have yet to be able to play chords. the reason i wanted to was so when i had an idea for a song i could play it instead of humming it to the geetarist. maybe i will get a portableized hammond b3 and a marshall major and a leslie 122 and pretend i'm Jon Lord !!! :o :o

MOUSE

I really wish i could sing , ( i'm short enough to be a Phil Collins) but i just have no tone or ear for it  :P

I'll perservere on shaman's horse.

Jeff Bankston

Quote from: MOUSE on April 17, 2011, 02:24 AM
I really wish i could sing , but i just have no tone or ear for it  :P

maybe congress will "ear" mark an old silver"tone" amp for ya !< thats a realy bad corny (cream style) joke ! i couldnt find an avatar for corny so i'll use the cheesy one !  :D  :o i actually laughed at my corny joke !

Hank Gagnon

many years ago i took a stab at learning to play guitar. being lefty didn't help. drums were and always have been  the "thing" for me.