• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Suspending a cajon?

Started by Jim Martin (cavanman), February 02, 2011, 01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Martin (cavanman)

So I was driving along the PCH in sunny Southern California (please don't hate me...I was driving to my new full time DAY GIG which takes about an hour to get to...ugh) this morning, sun shining though cold wind blowing...well ....relatively cold...I understand what the rest of the country is calling cold right now...and was thinking about playing cajon.

I have a Fat Cajon and enjoy playing it in the right circumstances. However, I'm never too crazy about the posture/position of playing cajon, especially as I get older.
Right now it's OK but there's something about being bent over, not having as easy eye contact with other players, and the slight discomfort of having to play any other instruments with my hands while doing this.

I do know that many use their feet for playing whether using them on the cajon or playing a pedal. I don't use those techniques that much and could live without those options.

I've been very interested in some kind of cajon that would sound as good but would have a vertical surface instead of horizontal. Then I could more easily play extra percussion as part of a hybrid set. I've tried out some of the 'lap' models and so far haven't been blown away.

So what I was thinking was maybe trying to suspend/mount the cajon I have now in front of me. I think a Rube Goldberg style suspension might be with bungee cords underneath the cajon. Only issue being on my model, that you would have to flip it to get to the non-snare side. Not a big deal if the suspension is just from the bottom.

I'm just thinking out loud here but does anyone have any ideas about this concept? Have you tried it yourself? Can you see any 'gotchas' in what I'm looking to do?

Tell me what's on your mind.

Jim

Nathan Cartier

I'm scanning Musician's Friend and I see a couple of cajon models that are meant to be played conga-style.  The striking surface is on the top face rather than the front face.

Pearl's Tube Cajon:

Gon Bops Conga Cajon:

Fat Conga's Cuban Cajon:

Options options!
Don't know much about how they sound, though.

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Thanks Nathan.

I've played around on instruments like these and they do sound cool - but not like a cajon. They are seem to simulate congas or other hand drums more than a cajon. I have'nt played one that had a snare sound too it. The ones I've tried out mostly sound like wood versions of congas or bongos.

Although I haven't played them, the Pearl cajon Congas look very hip as they nest inside of each other. Cool ideas and sounds but not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Jim

Jim Martin (cavanman)

I did go to Fat Congas website and see something interesting: the Snare Tumba.

I'd like to play one to hear what it sounds like but the description seems to fit what I'm looking for.

Anyone try one of these out yet?

Bill Cummings

Michael Beechey

I guess the purists must shudder...the guys with one sock off....but I have the same problem....back pain....there are lap versions....look forward to hearing your Rubeification of the cajon!

maybe like a cocktail drum, with a beater coming upwards?...I mean is the pitch bend worth the back bend?

Bart Elliott

The "proper" sitting technique for the cajon is to tip back on the instrument so that the front it of the cajon (play surface side) lifts off the floor. This allows you to keep your back straight while bringing the playing surface to your hands, rather than vice versa.

If you use your feet for pitch bending, etc., you'll have to allow the instrument to rest back on the floor first. Some people can keep the instrument tilted back, maintaining balance with one foot, allowing the other to pitch bend, glissando, etc.

You can still bend or lean forward as long as you keep your back straight, even if you don't want to tilt back on the instrument.

The cajon is a Peruvian instrument, and in that part of the world, people aren't know for being really tall or long ... so reaching the playing surface isn't an issue ... just look at Alex Acuna.  8)