• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Earthquake!

Started by Paul DAngelo, August 23, 2011, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul DAngelo

I just thought I'd report in as my wife and I live about 20 miles from the epicenter of today's great east coast earthquake. 

My wife reported the bed bouncing and the floors seeming to buckle.  We have fallen pictures, broken pottery, and water from sloshing aquariums.

I was at work when my desk, my chair, and the floor started moving.  It was seriously weird.  I work in a one story office park type building and it sounded like someone was moving massive industrial air conditioners across the roof. 

Wow, my first earthquake.

Jon E

I lived in L.A. For a few years a while back.  I missed many a quake cuz I was driving in the car.  Never even knew they happened.  Others really rocked and rolled me, set off every car alarm, knocked stuff around, etc.

Crazy stuff!

Didn't get to feel it down here in FL.  We just get to watch the hurricane!

NY Frank

My oldest daughter goes to college in Virginia so I had a bit of a scare
when it happened.  She was very spooked by it, but she's fine.

I felt it here in NY while at my desk at work.

Bizarre. 

Nathan Cartier

It was pretty scary here in North Virginia.  Pictures were swinging on the walls and the house was rocking.  No damage though, just a few crumbling buildings in DC and major traffic problems.  Everyone was released early yesterday and the Metro was running way behind while they checked the track and the underground terminals. 

I've felt one here a few years ago, I think it was 3-ish on the scale.  Nothing like this, though.  Feels like we were all very lucky that it was only a 5.8.  If it had been a little bit stronger I think there would be a lot more damage.  The structures here just aren't built to withstand a significant earthquake.