• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees....WTH?

Started by Tony, September 28, 2011, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

This years inductee nominees:

- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
- Heart
- Guns and Roses
- The Cure
- The Faces (and incarnations)
- The Spinners
- Rufus and Chaka Khan
- Eric B. and Rakim
- Freddie King
- The Beastie Boys
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- War
- Donna Summer
- Donovan
- Laura Nyro

At least change the name to "Modern Music Hall of Fame".

Bart Elliott

ROFL ... the definition of the term "Rock and Roll" just gets broader and broader doesn't it?

In fairness, the inductee list was generated from the names submitted for induction. Whomever submitted the name(s) initially, they should be smacked upside-the-head with one of Papa Jo Jones' cymbals.

Jeff Bankston

eye  always thought Donna Summers music was disco amd Freddie King was blues. a few a them i aint never hereded of. i vote for Heart cause they drive a plymouth barracuda.

Chris Whitten

Best not to even look, never mind care.
I don't.
It's a marketing exercise used to regenerate interest in classic artists.
The more controversy, the more interest generated.
I put this alongside MD readers polls in my 'ignore' folder.

Hank Gagnon

donovan and the faces i can handle. heart and freddie king are a possible. the rest, fuggeddabuttit.

Dave Kayser

And once again RUSH gets left off the list.

and now I'll get off my soapbox.

Chris Whitten

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Dave Kayser on October 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
And once again RUSH gets left off the list.

Who?

Just kidding.  ;)

It is surprising. A rock band that's been around for 30+ years, still making relevant music, and who set the tone for many bands that would follow. Even Neil Peart can be credited for his innovations for progressive rock in his early years.

Hank Gagnon

i suppose the nominees are picked just as the baseball hall of fame nominees are. after so many years you qualify to go on the ballott, but do most have an actual chance of being elected? nope. kiss not even on the ballot!

Larry Rankine

To the Devil with the RRHoF  :P........We should start our own museum.........The Drummers Hall of Fame! 8)

Chip Donaho

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Chip Donaho on October 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Can I nominate myself?   :D

He said "fame" not "shame" ... as in shameful self-promotion.

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea. I know a lot of people I could nominate for the Drummers Hall of Shameful Self-Promotion. We could put all of the new members, those who join this forum for the sole purpose of spamming, at the front of the line for immediate addition.  ;)

Larry Rankine

Quote from: Bart Elliott on October 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
He said "fame" not "shame" ... as in shameful self-promotion.

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea. I know a lot of people I could nominate for the Drummers Hall of Shameful Self-Promotion. We could put all of the new members, those who join this forum for the sole purpose of spamming, at the front of the line for immediate addition.  ;)

I like it, I like it!   ;D

smoggrocks

i stand with dave kayser!

and i like the cure, but...it feels like they were only big for 2 or so years??

it's a mad, mad, mad, mad rock 'n roll world!