• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Workhorse Cymbals

Started by MOUSE, December 23, 2011, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOUSE

Over time iv'e searched for workhorse cymbals, ones that can cut most gigs and styles of music as a cover band muso playing a variety pop/rock,country, old time, etc. These are the three iv'e come up with that nearly always are put up (yes, i'm a no brand in particular kind of guy) as they can cover a night of a cross section of music, only my ears of course, they are.
Ride Paiste Signature dark full 20" ride
Zildjian A medium/thin crash 17"
Sabian 14" stage hi hats ( sometimes with a Zildjian K top for warmth)

What are your top three always up there?

Ryan Culberson

For my money, old A Zildjian's (especially circa 50's or 60's) are the greatest workhorse cymbals of all-time. 

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Paiste 3000 heavy hats 14"
Paiste signature Heavy dry ride 20"
Paiste signature fast crash 16"
Paiste signature fast crash 18"

That's my standard minimum.

Boomerweps

Bob Dias

two main sets of cymbals for me:
set one: 60's A's. !5" hats, 16, 18" crashes, 21" ride.

Set two: Mehmets, 14" sultan hats, 16, 17, 18, 19" sultan crashes, 21" turk ride, 21" Bos N.O ride, 22" Agop turk China.

I gig with set #2...covers most anything I have ever been asked to play...jazz, blues, country, rock...you name it.

bob

Susan Wood

What about the Sabian RBDR, supposedly their best seller?

donelk

Susan, that is my primary right-side ride. Heavy, and versatile.

Susan Wood

Yes, I have had two Sabian RBDR cymbals;love the sound and killer bell, but a little too heavy(hard) stick feel ,if that makes sense?

Tim van de Ven

My workhorse cymbals are my Giant Beat set (24", 20" 18") and a set of 2002 hats (either 14" SE or 15" Heavy). I can play anything with that set of cymbals (even though I have piles of bronze).

Bill Bachman

The 20" K Custom medium ride does it all for me. New beat hi hats and A custom crashes seem to always fit right in with anything too.

David Crigger

Quote from: Ryan Culberson on December 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
For my money, old A Zildjian's (especially circa 50's or 60's) are the greatest workhorse cymbals of all-time.

Ryan - I couldn't agree more. My 20" 1968 A Zildjian ride is without a doubt my most cherished drumming possession. Talk about being able to cover all the bases!

I keep buying similar ones off Ebay, trying to snag another like it. So far, I've only gotten about halfway there (back then the variations within a given cymbal model was far, far greater than today). But I keep trying.

David

Rusty Beckett

Quote from: David Crigger on January 01, 2012, 01:16 AM
Ryan - I couldn't agree more. My 20" 1968 A Zildjian ride is without a doubt my most cherished drumming possession. Talk about being able to cover all the bases!

I keep buying similar ones off Ebay, trying to snag another like it. So far, I've only gotten about halfway there (back then the variations within a given cymbal model was far, far greater than today). But I keep trying.

David

I have a 20" A Zildjian I got used in 64 or so.  It has been used in all types of settings and has never left me wanting.  I recently picked up a 22" A Zildjian from the same era - both are truly great cymbals.

Ryan Culberson

Yeah, Rusty and David!  That's what I'm talkin' about...  8)

Here are my 50's-era 20" and 22" out on a recent gig, as well as my "money" hats (mix-n-match vintage Paiste 602 over Sabian Rock Hat bottom).  With this setup, I'm confident and ready for any gig. 

Cheers,
Ryan

MOUSE

Great replies and some common ones showing up and taking into account everyone has different ears. Old  A's appear really popular, i have a sweet ride that is almost as good but the Paiste just tops it. Paiste heavy 2002 hi hats i used the first 20 years of my drumming life and they played everything, sometimes wish they never parted but i like what i have even better. I also have used A Customs and they are versatile as stated. 8)

JeepnDrummer

Currently, my cover everything cymbals are: 14" Armand hats, 15" K Custom crash, 17" A Custom crash, and 21" Armand ride.

I'm sure I'll end up with more cymbals in the future that will become part of my "cover everything" set.

MOUSE

Been listening to Matt Cameron and figured out his ride and hi-hats. Listened/read a few reviews on WWW ( my cymbal.co, etc)and they stack up in this category.
His ride an Zildjian A medium 20 nice tasteful wash and cuts through without being overbearing and high hats a nice pair of 14 Zildjian K custom hybrid, these are sweet sounding. The 13's also sound similar and would be happy with either as all round pies,albeit pricey items. ;)

Bill Bachman

My favorite do-it-all ride is the K Custom medium ride. It's got some complexity for jazz and enough beef to project in rock. It's always worked for everything I've tried it with.