• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Too Much China

Started by Walter Beyer, June 03, 2012, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Beyer

Hello all, I am a recent transplant back on the scene after a Long hiatus. I picked up a killer deal on some Pearls, Dbl kick w/ cams, Zildjian Z & K crashes & Zht hats.
Also got a 20" Zildjian China Trash, they guys I'm playing with & even the Wife say it's "too much" no matter how I play it. Diff angle, stroke, etc.

Is there such a thing? We play older Metal, and new Down type inspired Groove metal. Mostly original stuff, a cover here & there... Should I sell the   China trash and opt for say, a 16", I was planning to add a 12" as an accent piece anyway.

Just wondering, Thanks.

Walter

Bobby Campbell

Have you tried the 16" Wuhan china?  They also have 12 & 14 models.  Price is right, and I love the sound.... Very trashy.  Might be a bit more controlled than a 20.

Walter Beyer

Actually, yes. I had a 16" on my previous kit. I liked it ALOT.

Was looking at the 12" as an accent piece, may just get another 16", it was very trashy.

Maybe I can move this 20" local or on eBay and fund the others.

Thanks

Jon E

By "too much" I'll assume you mean too loud.  If you mean too often, well don't hit it so often.

I wouldn't get rid of it.  You never know when when you might REALLY want to use it.  Besides, Chinas look cool!  LOL!

Walter Beyer

Quote from: Jon E on June 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
By "too much" I'll assume you mean too loud.  If you mean too often, well don't hit it so often.

I wouldn't get rid of it.  You never know when when you might REALLY want to use it.  Besides, Chinas look cool!  LOL!

Ha ha! Yeah, sorry. Too much meaning too loud, overpowering.
That's their verbiage, I thought it was ok. I may just hang on to it, it's somewhat pricey, and as you stated, they look cool, and I'm sure it'll have a place & time...
The Wuhans are inexpensive enough not to bust a budget & keep the Wife Happy w my spending:)
Thanks for the input guys, really enjoying my time here this far.

Jon E

I have a 12" Wuhan that it put ONE rivet it.  It is killer.

Walter Beyer

Quote from: Jon E on June 06, 2012, 07:36 PM
I have a 12" Wuhan that it put ONE rivet it.  It is killer.

Just picked up a 12" on the EBay for about $10..

Scott Hutton

A 20" china is definitely going to produce a lot of wash and volume so I would go with a smaller size to minimize the sustain.

Tim van de Ven

Some tape might tame that beast as well.....

Walter Beyer

Quote from: Tim van de Ven on June 20, 2012, 01:20 PM
Some tape might tame that beast as well.....

How's this process work?
Thanks

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: Walter Beyer on June 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
How's this process work?
Thanks

1. Cut piece of tape
2. Place somewhere on cymbal
3. Hit cymbal
4 If results are not pleasing, repeat step two but in a different place, followed by step three.

Walter Beyer

Splendid! A comedian!!! A multi-talented Jerk.
I was more ore less wondering what kind of tape. Duct, scotch, electrical, etc.

Admin, you can remove the thread & my account... Too much elitist arrogance here for me.

Plooker68

Lighten up, Frances... he was dead serious.    Its a valid and effective technique.    I don't think he was trying to be funny.        ::)

Mister Acrolite

Seriously, dude, that IS how you tape a cymbal: you experiment.

If somebody offering a suggestion like that makes you this angry, you might not enjoy this forum - or any other, for that matter.

But you just called a pro drummer and a friend of mine a jerk. That's never a good idea.

Tim van de Ven

Hey, at least he called me "multi-talented".  ;D

Thanks for the support, Mr. A. and Plooker.

donelk

Don't worry Tim... you're cool.   :D