• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

buidling a practice room from scratch

Started by Robert Cane, February 12, 2012, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Cane

Greetings all, I'm new here.

I've finally got the chance to build a true practice room as an addition to the garage. The benefits are I'll have control over the walls, ceiling, and floors to make it the most quiet.

I'm still looking through the archives, but I'd appreciate any links or experiences you've had in building a good soundproof room.

The exterior walls will be SIPs (structure insulated panels) which means I can do just about anything to the inside.

Anything will help.

Thanks,

RC

Bobby Campbell

It's probably a little late, but I just saw your post.  I was able to build a 13' x 30' practice room inside of a larger metal building that the previous homeowner had used as a boat workshop.  We did 2 x 6 plates, with 2 x 4 staggered studs every 8".  Fiberglass insulation inside the walls, and Then a layer of quiet rock under a layer of 1/2" Sheetrock.  I put one double-paned window, and the one double- door was also pretty well insulated. 

We were able to do 10ft ceilings and surface mounted all the electrical.  The only holes cut into the wall, were for a mini-split a/c unit and a single 11ft PVC pipe that brought in the a/c, network and catv wiring.  Eventually hung some auralex ceiling and wall panels.

I can post some photos if you want, but I can you, tell I loved that room.  I had two sets in there, and still had space for the 5-piece band, and computer equipment used to record us.  I could play anytime of day, without bothering anyone. 

Chip Donaho

Bart Elliott

I highly recommend that you check out this book:

The Studio Builder's Handbook

I've got the book which I'm currently writing a review for. Although I felt like I knew a lot, I've learned even more. You'll learn the "do's and don'ts" and save yourself a lot of headache and money by heeding the advice in this book. Highly recommended.

David Crigger

Haven't read the book Bart mentioned - though I suspect it's pretty good.

IMO by far the best source of the info you are looking for is here -  http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php]http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

And I mean, BY FAR.

But.... depending on your knowledge and experience in both general construction and studio-type construction, there's a lot to this. Seriously... A LOT.

But it's all there on that sight - and what's not there can be found out by simple asking. Though as you'll find out quick enough by skimming, asking question is not an acceptable shortcut to doing a bunch of the suggested reading - all right there on the sight.

In a nutshell, there are a number of basic principles (and some not so basic) that don't necessarily follow "common sense" that if you ignore or otherwise don't follow, your build will seriously under-perform for what you've paid for.

That said - it ain't rocket science either. I mean there's some rocket science behind it, but as a builder/designer you don't have to really know the rocket science, just respect it and know how to do what it suggests.

Having built a couple of studios, all I can suggest is take your time, figure it out, then run your plan past the guys on the Sayer's forum (which I wish had been around for my first build!!!).
And of course, post more questions here and I'll chime in where I think it might be helpful.

Good luck with your build,

David