• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Watch Tower/Hendrix

Started by Daniel Stacy, January 18, 2012, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Stacy

My Drummer Cafe Premium Resource subscription got off to a great start! Our host guided me through the proper way to handle SRV/Double Trouble's "Tight Rope" - a problem that has haunted me for years. Then, I found Bart's excellent explanation on how to kick-off Zeppelin's "Rock-n-Roll" - something that has also eluded me for decades. So now I'll try the Forum: can someone PLEASE help me come into Hendrix's "All Along the Watch Tower" the way it's on the studio recording? If nothing else, how do I count into the guitar's opening chords? Thank you!!!!!!

Nathan Cartier

Those first two snare hits are on "AND 4", and that big reverbed out wood block hit is on 3.  If we sing the melody, it's like "AND4and1AND2 (woodblock on 3) AND4and1AND2 (woodblooooooock) etc etc" and then there's a big drum fill on the 4th measure of the intro where mitch is pounding on the downbeats just to make sure that everyone's on the same page.

So for a count off, you'd count to 3 with everyone coming in on the offbeat.

Everybody got that?

Daniel Stacy

MAN! That took several attempts (of listening to the recording while counting), but once I forced that woodblock/vibra slap onto beat 3, it all came together. I can't thank you enough! I'm pretty sure I'd have gone to my grave never knowing my way through that if it weren't for you. I had been successfully faking it up until now - but I sure do appreciate the sanity check!!!! (OK, my initial problem was that my head put that vibra slap on the AND of 3 and would not let it go!!!! 4&1&2&-AND4&1&2&-AND...I can't believe I was only a 1/2 beat off. Bazaar.) What do I owe you? I can toss you one of my better gigs for a night here in the Charleston, SC, area if you're in the neighborhood. Take Care!!!!!!! 

Jon E

We all probably have songs that we have been playing "wrong" our whole lives.  You get it in our head one way, and it takes a wole lotta work to get you "fix" it.  I still play "I Want You to Want Me" by Cheap Trick "wrong".  The rest of the band doesn't know I'm playing it wrong cuz we all come in "right"!  :^)

Luke Elwick

Quote from: Daniel Stacy on January 18, 2012, 11:35 AMHendrix's "All Along the Watch Tower"
Hendrix's COVER OF ...Watchtower

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: Daniel Stacy on January 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
My Drummer Cafe Premium Resource subscription got off to a great start! Our host guided me through the proper way to handle SRV/Double Trouble's "Tight Rope" - a problem that has haunted me for years.

I've searched and searched for this 'Tight Rope' information.  Do you happen to have a link, for another premium member?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on March 23, 2012, 10:45 PM
I've searched and searched for this 'Tight Rope' information.  Do you happen to have a link, for another premium member?

Bobby, I wrote an email to Daniel directly, explaining what was going on in this groove and shared a video clip with him. Perhaps Daniel can pass along this info to you, rather than having me write it out again.  :)

In the mean time, I'll check my "sent" folder to see if I have a copy of the email and will forward it to you ... if I find it.  8)

Bobby Campbell

Bart,

I understand, and definitely wouldn't expect a rewrite.  If Daniel has it, perhaps it would be worth adding to the list of premium lessons.  On a side note, I've only scratched the surface of this wonderful resource, but it's one of the few no-brainer subscriptions I've come across.  I'll be renewing for as long as I can hold sticks.  Thanks for being here.

Bobby