• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Dennis St John, 1941-2012

Started by Bermuda Schwartz, June 05, 2012, 02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bermuda Schwartz

Dennis St John passed away this morning from complications due to esophageal cancer. Dennis was a dear friend, and also a mentor when I first started playing with bands in the early seventies.

His name may not be instantly recognizable, but during the height of his career in the sixties and seventies, Dennis toured and recorded with several top artists, drumming on sixteen top-10 records and over fifty Gold and Platinum albums. If you've ever heard "Let Your Love Flow" or "Spooky" or "Spiders & Snakes" or Linda Ronstadt's "Desperado" or Neil Diamond's "Forever In Blue Jeans" or "America", then you've heard just a small sampling of the hundreds of recordings featuring his playing.

Dennis crossed paths with an impressive number of artists such as James Brown, Kenny Rogers, Barbra Streisand, Roy Orbison, Ronnie Milsap, Sammy Davis Jr., Liberace, Little Richard, Rufus Thomas, Tommy Roe, The Standells, Otis Redding, and Paul Revere and the Raiders. But he's best known as Neil Diamond's drummer and musical director from 1971-81.

He described the most memorable event of his career as the 10 days of recording Hot August Night in 1972 (at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles) saying "it was by far the most energetic, creative, and satisfying gig I've ever played."

A few years ago, Dennis very graciously gave me the kit he used in Neil Diamond's The Jazz Singer and on the soundtrack recording including "America", "Love On The Rocks" and "Hello Again".

I will cherish it always.

Rest In Peace Dennis.

Bart Elliott

Rest in Peace, Dennis. Thank you for all the great drumming and music.

Thanks for letting us know, Bermuda.

Dave Heim

So sorry to hear this.  Thanks, Bermuda, for sharing the story.  I'll listen to those tunes differently from now on.

Chip Donaho

Thanks for the info Bermuda....I knew I'd seen him play before. Now you got me thinking, hmm, was it with James Brown? I've seen Neil Diamond and America too? I know I've seen him play before. It's sad to hear this news. He was only six years older than me. :o