• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Nashville studio slang terms

Started by Ronnie Rhoads, September 06, 2012, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie Rhoads

Could anyone tell me what a "batman" is in terms of nashville studio slang?
Thanks!

Bart Elliott

Two quarter-notes played on beats ONE and TWO. Usually appears at the end of a phrase prior to going to the Chorus of the song.

How you play this, meaning what instruments you use (eg. Kick, Snare and HiHat) is up to you. Now that you know what the term means ... you will probably know what voices of the drumkit to use. You've heard it many times if you listen/play Country music!

Ronnie Rhoads

Mister Acrolite

I never knew that. But it's immediately obvious what you're talking about. COOL!

Bart Elliott

Nashville musicians, namely the country music and studio crowd, use these types of terms quite a bit. I think this is largely due to the fact that many of these musicians don't actually read standard music notation ... at least that's what birthed it, in my opinion.

It's easier/quicker to just say "put a Batman on that" than say "on the end of the Verse, the ensemble should play two quarter-notes on beats 1 and 2, then go into the Chorus."

Another popular slang term is Meat & Three. This, yet another figure you've heard at the end of Country tunes, is the two eighth-notes (often times swung), a quarter-note, and a half-note. The band plays this figure at the end of the song, walking down to the tonic/root.

I can't tell you how many gigs I've played where we will be playing along and the bass player turns to me and mouths "Batman" or "Meat & Three." It makes it really easy to flow along in the tune and with just a few verbal cues, play the song like you've rehearsed it a hundred times.

There's a lot of predictable figures in Country music, but you can say the same thing with Jazz, Rock, Blues, etc.

Chip Donaho

Thanks Bart, I've never heared those terms used before.

David Stanoch

Quote from: Bart Elliott on September 08, 2012, 08:15 PM
Nashville musicians, namely the country music and studio crowd, use these types of terms quite a bit. I think this is largely due to the fact that many of these musicians don't actually read standard music notation ... at least that's what birthed it, in my opinion.

It's easier/quicker to just say "put a Batman on that" than say "on the end of the Verse, the ensemble should play two quarter-notes on beats 1 and 2, then go into the Chorus."

Another popular slang term is Meat & Three. This, yet another figure you've heard at the end of Country tunes, is the two eighth-notes (often times swung), a quarter-note, and a half-note. The band plays this figure at the end of the song, walking down to the tonic/root.

I can't tell you how many gigs I've played where we will be playing along and the bass player turns to me and mouths "Batman" or "Meat & Three." It makes it really easy to flow along in the tune and with just a few verbal cues, play the song like you've rehearsed it a hundred times.

There's a lot of predictable figures in Country music, but you can say the same thing with Jazz, Rock, Blues, etc.

Interesting thread and funny cuz I've just been compiling some "Drumspeak" slang for something I'm working on and this is so related.

So Bart, "Batman," I've experienced but not "Meat and Three" - at least not by that name anyway. I think I hear in my head what you've described - like if it happens as a fill on beats "3-&, 4" leading into a half-time feel - but I'm not sure, of course.

Could you post an example from a tune off of youtube or something to demonstrate, please ?

I love to learn. Thanks in advance!

Jon E

"But it's immediately obvious what you're talking about."

I must be a dumb@ss.  I read this post last week and it didn't hi me til today.  I kept imaginging what Bart mention printed out in notation and thinking, "THAT is supposed to look like Batman???"   Now I get it.

At least in Nashville there seems to be some unity to musical malaprops.  I've spent a whole lot of time in my life trying to interpret musical half-speak.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: David Stanoch on September 09, 2012, 10:01 PM
So Bart, "Batman," I've experienced but not "Meat and Three" - at least not by that name anyway. I think I hear in my head what you've described - like if it happens as a fill on beats "3-&, 4" leading into a half-time feel - but I'm not sure, of course.

Meat & Three is not a fill but an ensemble figure played at the end of a Country tune ... last measure ... starting on Beat One ... two eighth-notes (often times swung), a quarter-note, and a half-note.

Here's a quick example; scroll to the end of the tune (2:30).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE#]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE#

David Stanoch

Of course. Thanks, Bart!

Somehow I confused "half-note" w/"half-time" in my brain when I first read it, but I'm straight now.

Anybody know how "Meat and Three" got it's name?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: David Stanoch on September 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Anybody know how "Meat and Three" got it's name?

Having lived in Tennessee for over 10 years, plus another 10 in Texas, I think I might have this hillbilly dialect figured out ... maybe. HA!

Meat & Three ... assuming you know the southern term for restaurants that serve "meat and three" ... the three is the 3 notes (two eighths and one quarter-note), and the "meat" is the half-note.

As far as who came up with it, I don't know that anyone knows that. If you listen to old Country, that ending is a standard.

Scot Holder

very cool stuff to hear about - and thanks for the example, Bart.

I'm really a small-town guy and would love to hear more "dialects" regarding drumming/music terminology.  Surely people in NYC, New Orleans, LA.... all have their own vernacular.

I'd love to hear about them!

Bill Bachman

Does the "Pat Boone Debby Boone" drum fill make the list?

Bart Elliott

Bart Elliott

For some, this lick is considered a "Batman."  ;D

Eric Malinowski

Thanks for the explanation.  Although it sounds like they messed up the vocals at the end of the tune.  The Hag was singing one thing and the background singers another. LOL!