• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Marvin McQuitty Jr. ~ In Memoriam

Started by Bart Elliott, September 16, 2012, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

It is with profound sorrow that I announce that my friend, drummer Marvin McQuitty Jr. passed away on Tuesday, September 11 in Houston, TX; he was 46.

Marvin McQuitty collaborated with everyone from the gospel artists Fred Hammond and Israel & New Breed to the pop stars Stevie Wonder and Jessica Simpson.

Memorial service for Marvin McQuitty Jr. is scheduled for 11am Monday, September 17th, at Grace Church in Humble, TX.

http://www.drummercafe.com/featured-musician/drummer-percussionist/marvin-mcquitty-jr-1966-2012.html

I've also created a tribute page for him here at the Drummer Cafe.

Matthew Warwick

Definitely very tragic. He was only 46. Any details on what happened to him to cause his death?

I'm very taken aback by this sad news...almost hard to believe given his age.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Matthew Warwick on September 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
Definitely very tragic. He was only 46. Any details on what happened to him to cause his death?

I'm very taken aback by this sad news...almost hard to believe given his age.

Marvin lost his battle with cancer.

Matthew Warwick

As the brother of a cancer survivor, I always wonder this after someone is diagnosed with or dies from cancer: What kind?

I googled it and some links said it was liver cancer, but there's nothing that seems too definitive. Sheila E even posted that he had died of cancer, but not the specific kind.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Matthew Warwick on September 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
As the brother of a cancer survivor, I always wonder this after someone is diagnosed with or dies from cancer: What kind?

I googled it and some links said it was liver cancer, but there's nothing that seems too definitive. Sheila E even posted that he had died of cancer, but not the specific kind.

Sometimes families don't want the specifics of the disease to be known. I'm not at liberty to get into all of that; sorry.