• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Rogers Swivo: care and feeding

Started by Michael Beechey, March 23, 2013, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Beechey

I recently took a trip to my distant past and got a one-piece swivo bass pedal. Love the heel up!

Too long ago to remember how I gigged with it...any suggestions on care and feeding?

I oiled everything except the (rubber) strap and still have a squeak. I can see that forgetting the metal hoop clamps at home on my practice set would be a pain, any cheap spares around? Also, even at max altitude on the post, it seems to hit the 22" head about 2 " below the target. Is that normal?

thanks in advance!

Joe

Well, may I ask where the target is, so to speak?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2013, 10:22 AM
Well, may I ask where the target is, so to speak?

I believe the "target" Michael is referring to is the center of the drumhead.

The center of ANY drumhead is a node (aka dead spot). For a fuller sound, we should strike ANY membranophone slightly off-center. All that to say, having the bass drum beater striking the drum slightly off-center is actually a good thing. If you want more of a choked/dry sound, playing dead-center will help with that.

Michael Beechey

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 22, 2013, 08:25 AM
I believe the "target" Michael is referring to is the center of the drumhead.

The center of ANY drumhead is a node (aka dead spot). For a fuller sound, we should strike ANY membranophone slightly off-center. All that to say, having the bass drum beater striking the drum slightly off-center is actually a good thing. If you want more of a choked/dry sound, playing dead-center will help with that.
exactly...I aim for off-center...but the swivo is about 2" lower than the usual, even with the column at full height

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Michael Beechey on May 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
exactly...I aim for off-center...but the swivo is about 2" lower than the usual, even with the column at full height.

Ah ... well, I personally don't have any suggestions or experience with that.

Joe

I just set the pedal for feel (years of playing a Roland V-kit, before the current regular set, has accustomed me to a much shorter beater height than many use), and the DBX does the rest, hence my question. i guess I figured the target was subjective.

DR

Michael,
Can you use an extra long beater with that pedal?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: DR on June 01, 2013, 03:01 PM
Michael,
Can you use an extra long beater with that pedal?

I agree. Various manufacturers have beaters with longer shafts, designed for 24-inch Kick/Bass drums.