• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Going from 14x22" bass drum to a new?

Started by Gustav Bruno, October 01, 2013, 03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustav Bruno

Hi! This is my first post here so bear with me.
I have played a yamaha 5000 series kit for 10 years now, and i fell that i want to get a new kit now. The problem is that my kick is 14x22" and the new kits just don't have those sizes, at least not the kit im planning to get.
I want to buy a Gretsch Renown kit, but the BD sizes are either 16x20, 18x22 and 16x24".
I do not want to get the 20" dia one, since i play in a 70:s influenced rockband.

Is there a big difference going from 14-18" depth? and would the 24 kick be more suitable for my style and liking? I really liked the fast response of the 14" depth, and i feel like that might get lost with the 18" depth. 

donelk

I've played all of those sizes (and others too). For my money, for that music, I suggest the 18x22. It is a versatile size. With changes in heads and tuning, you can really impact the sound and response.

Chip Donaho

I've got different sizes, but use the 20" most of the time.   
I tend to pick for the size of the room and what sound the band is going after when choosing a bass drum.   :-\

Gustav Bruno

Thanks for the input. I went to a drumshop yesterday and tried the new sizes. They were easy to play and had less difference than i thought :) btw nearest drumshop is a 3 hour drive for me..

Chip Donaho

By the way, most 70's music was made with a 20" bass.  ;)

JeepnDrummer

Gustav, I'm not a big fan of the 18" depth as I find it less responsive and the size makes it more difficult to haul around.  You can get a great sound out of any of the sizes you mentioned, though, so it's whatever best meets your needs.  I think 16x22" is a good compromise, but nothing wrong with a 14" depth either.