• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Possible returning problems with cysts. Any ideas?

Started by Matthew Warwick, April 15, 2014, 03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Warwick

Lately (particularly these past four months), I've been figuring out a lot of my bad drumming habits which have tripped me up these past three years, and I've been practicing more to weed them out, with a more than decent degree of success so far. The only problem I've noticed is that in my left wrist, I've started to feel some pain reminiscent of what I had years ago in high school. I used to have cysts that would swell up in my wrists when I practiced. For years they never showed up, but I've still noticed during the past month that the cyst in my left wrist is beginning to bug me again at times. Are there ways to prevent this from happening? I REALLY don't want to have to wear a wrist brace, which would be impractical anyway since my job would require me to take it off during work hours. Also, I find it funny that it's not happening in my primary hand. That wrist moves WAY more since it's the primary time keeping limb, so you'd think it'd happen more there than my left hand. Weird. Anyway, any suggestions for minimizing the effects of cysts?

Chip Donaho

It's possible you're gripping the sticks too tight. Do you play old style or matched stick? That could make a difference also.  :-\

Matthew Warwick

I play matched grip. It's possible I could be gripping it too tight. I'll try loosening a bit and I'll report back if that works. Thanks!

Bart Elliott

I really don't have any experience with this issue, so I have no advice other than stretching and warming up (without sticks) before you play ... and making sure you employ a loose, relaxed grip with the drumsticks.