• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Rusty cases = rusty gear?

Started by skn, June 10, 2014, 07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skn

I guess it stands to common sense. I purchased a set of second hand hardcases from an op shop. 3 toms and a snare for $150. Excellent condition - no qualms at all. A steal. I did notice at the time of purchasing that they smelt kinda peculiar, but thought perhaps it was the foam inside them. I also noticed that the rivets holding the foam to the hardcase itself was rusty. But these cases looked about 2 years old, hardly a scratch on them. Anyway, I kept my snare drum in one of them for about a week - maybe less. The snare has die cast hoops which were painted. After years of use from rim-shots and the snarestand cradle, the paint has chipped away and left the exposed metal rim.

The drum now looks and mostly feels like it's been left near the sea... kinda chalky feel on the exposed metal which does rub off quite easily, but got me thinking...

Have I simply not noticed this before, or has the snare caught the rust from the rivets?

Like I said, common sense, but I didn't think it'd be this rapid.

The toms (chrome die cast hoops) are fine, but now I'm nervous about storing my kit in the cases - perhaps why they were ditched in the first place.

Any assistance would be killer.

Cheers,

J

skn

Oh and if possible, is there a remedy out there for saving the cases?

And what is best to clean early rust from drum hoops?

luuuurve

Bart Elliott

I use Cinch and #0000 Steel Wool when cleaning my hardware ... removing the residue left by the environment and my hands. This helps prevent the pitting as well. DO NOT USE THE STEEL WOOL ON THE SHELL. This is only for the chrome plated hoops/rims. Be mindful of the plating, and make sure you don't peel any off as you work the small rusted areas. The rust will come back, even if you remove it, because there is no longer any plating there to protect the metal.

I'd go to the hardware store and look at the products offered for cleaning rust. Whatever you use, go with very small amounts and work a small area at a time. The little bit of rust work I've had to do ... I've used WD-40 and my #0000 Steel Wool, and had positive results.

skn

Thanks Bart,

I did a bit of research and read arguments for/against steel wool, but I think it may be the only thing for it.

Any other ideas about these cases though guys? Could that really be what's done it?!

I have used WD-40 before, but it tends to create a bit of mess - maybe I've been using too much in the past.

In any case, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

skn

So as it turns out, YES.

http://www.gatorcases.com/support/gpr-drum-case-statement.aspx]http://www.gatorcases.com/support/gpr-drum-case-statement.aspx

Bummer for a lot of people out there. These are what I picked up also. Luckily I stopped using them after about a week, but still there is a noticeable degradation to my hardware :(