• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Add rivets to hi hats -- Worth it, or not?

Started by DrumnDad, July 21, 2014, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumnDad

I have a set of Zildjian K Light hats which I love.  However, I would love them more if they had more sizzle, so I have considered adding maybe 3 or 4 rivets to the bottom cymbal, kind of like the old Sabian Sizzle hats.  Has anyone done this, and did it make a difference?  I think an added benefit would be that the holes would reduce any airlock as well.  Zildjian does this for no charge, just the return shipping cost. 

Bart Elliott

I've never "added" rivets to the bottom HiHat, but I do own the 14-inch Sabian HH Sizzle Hats.

I don't notice that much effect unless I splash the HiHats. The rivets do 'fire off' a bit when I play with 'loose' HiHats ... but it's subtle.

No cost? Hey, why not if you think you'll like it. I just think the results, with the HiHat having the rivets, is going to be subtle.

DrumnDad

Thanks for the reply, Bart.  I just got on Zildjian's FYI page and they just charge $10 for return shipping, and that's it!  So I figure if I don't like the rivets, I can take them out and still have some holes to help alleviate air lock, so it's pretty much win-win.

Nathan Cartier

Before you go that far, get some scotch or gaffer tape and tape a coin to the inside of the bottom hat.  You made me curious so I went downstairs and tried a nickel and a quarter, the quarter seemed to work best.  It adds nothing to closed hats, open hats drown it out, but on a foot splash you can hear a nice little sizzle going on. 

It should be S.O.P. to keep a quarter with a strip of gaffer tape in your stick bag, anyway, I think Bart's talked about using it as a quick and simple sizzle effect many times.