Topic: Brush with Greatness?  (Read 10598 times)

Offline KevinD

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • My Space/bigwedge.com
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 03:07 PM »
kev, i recently caught a pic of sean and yoko, and i bugged-out at how much he looks like his dad. it's like an asian john lennon. truly a trip.

but what i really wanna know is -- how'd ya swing the upper west side, and drum-o-dad the hamptons?? drummers aren't supposed to live high on the hog!! :D

(lost my connection earlier so I couldn't finish the post!!)

I was struck by how much he looked like his dad. At 1st I thought it was a couple dressing up like them but as I got closer I noticed it was the real deal.

As far as living on the UWS, nice hood, I had good timing and good luck finding my place. I'm sure my hovel is just slightly smaller than what Sen and Yoko go home to  :)

Good deals are out there but luck plays a large part of it I'm afraid.   :-\

"If it weren't for Thomas Edison we'd all be watching TV in the dark." - Attributed to various people over the years.

http://www.myspace.com/bigwedge

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29 PM »
   By the way, does his wife use a prosthetic leg to be able to ride a bike? I would assume that would have to be the case. I remember trying to pedal a bike with one leg as a kid just for fun......not easy, it's amazing what can be done nowadays.

Yes she does. Its how I was sure it was him. She had one long and one short pant leg. Wasnt sure at first, but I knew to look for the artificial limb.
One of the guitar players in the cover band I am in lives right next to him,they share a property line so maybe he could hook me up.
Paul also likes to bowl,a friend of mine is a barkeep at the local alley,so I gave him a head to keep there,just in case.

Later that day I went to the annual Writers/Artists softball game in town,met Former N.Y.city mayor Rudy Gulliani,he was officiating the game.I asked him if it was easier to call a softball game or run the city,he said the city is easy compared to these games.

That night I went to the local music venue,Stephen Talkhouse,saw the Spin Doctors,cool guys,another autographed drumhead on the wall.
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 10:36 PM »
, and drum-o-dad the hamptons?? drummers aren't supposed to live high on the hog!! :D

If you call this high on the hog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I live in an area called Springs,its the slum of East Hampton.
I was working out here all the time,the guy I was doing work for helped me get a lot and I did the house myself almost ten years ago. I could not afford to buy the land now,as the prices out here have skyrocketed.
Still pounding nails by day and drums by night.

Anyone want to rent a room?
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 06:11 PM »
I met Larry McDonald, conga player for Dub is a Weapon, in a  restroom at one of their concerts.  GREAT guy.  We talked shop for a few minutes and then he left.  My aunt met him later in the smoking area outside and agreed that he was a really cool dude.

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
Re:Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 07:06 PM »
hmm...

in high school, i ran into warren burger at a model UN conference.  had no idea who he was, until my friend's dad stammered, "shake his hand!".  :P

and like kev, and smoggs, you see a few celebs every now and again.  as the cliche goes, its unavoidable.  

halloween, i saw Mike D and his pops near Father Demo square.  totally cool, and really nice to his pops i might add.  complemented Ice T on his very cool tracksuit, which he wore in 99 degree weather, and yet didnt break a sweat.  also, nearly jammed w/ Richard Gere (avid guitarist) at Matt Umanov's, but couldnt get by his rather large body guard.  ;D

but coolest of all was working literally side by side w/ Kathleen Turner and Daniel Day Lewis @ St. Vincent's Hospital during 9/11.  super emotional time, and they were in just as much as we were.  8)
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Crash

Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 10:09 PM »
In highschool I used to work at a Wendy's restaurant on highway 401.  I have served quite a few celebs burgers.  To name a few : Alice Cooper - he actually is Mr. nice guy, Dave Mustaine, Kingdom Come - actually ate dinner with them at 3 AM - really cool guys, Ben Johnson - (Canadian athlete stripped of his gold medal for steroid use), C.C. Deville of Poison, Colin James, Jeff Healey and Kenny Rogers!!!  Luckily I wasn't working the day Warrant came through!   ;D

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29 PM »
World reknowned jazz bassist Cecil McBee summers in my home town and often comes into the store where I work days.  Can't get him to sit in with the band though  8)

Roger

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram