Topic: Help Me With Drumsticks Slipping  (Read 379 times)

Offline Cynthia Myra

• Copper Member
Help Me With Drumsticks Slipping
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:25 AM »
Hi friends. I’ve stuck in a problem. It would be nice if anyone can help me out in it.

Whenever I play drums with the sticks, they just slip off from my hand. My hands aren’t even wet but they slip sometimes. Can anyone tell me how can I keep them attached to my hands?

Offline aj_peal

• Copper Member
Re: Help Me With Drumsticks Slipping
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:56 PM »
You just need to adjust your grip. Think of it like holding an animal. You want to grip enough that whatever it is can't get away but at the same time not enough to kill it. Its the same approach across all walks of percussion but I would say that you can be slightly more relaxed when your playing set. The idea is to be able to drive velocity into the drum and still let the stick resonate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:22 AM »
The lacquer used on drumsticks can make them slippery; you don't have to have sweaty hands to have them slip out of your hands.

There are a number of products on the market that may help you. You could try using stick grip tape or stick wax, both of which will help reduce the slick surface issue of the drumstick. Some people even rub a little sandpaper on the drumstick to rough up the grip area and remove some of the lacquer.

Offline Bryan K. Moore

• Copper Member
  • I like to Jazz Fusion
    • @KhorahPDS
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Hockey Tape. In any colour you can find!
Yamaha Oak Customs, Ludwig Black Beauty, Sabian HHX. Oh yeah its sounds great in my basement. Guitar player, Bass player.  Loud and Proud from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram