Topic: Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?  (Read 66 times)

Offline Andrew Pfau

• Copper Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I currently have a Yamaha Stage Custom kit. I've been offered a decent deal on a Live Custom kit and I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade.

I have a basic understanding of the difference between the woods (birch vs oak), and the other big difference would be that the bass drum on the Live Custom kit is 22"x14", as opposed to the Stage Custom bass that's 22"x17".

I consider myself an intermediate drummer and I've always thought that the main thing that makes a kit sound good is the head selection, so I'm really torn if I should upgrade or not.

Would welcome anyone's opinions on the matter.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Re: Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Andrew...

I personally think that it is worth upgrading, if you like what you hear and if you want to take a step forward in quality/workmanship of your instruments.

Yes, drumhead choice and tuning is a HUGE part of your drum sound... however the shell construction, mounting hardware, lugs, etc., have an affect on the sound and how the drumhead interacts with the drum.

Ultimately it is up to you and your budget.

Offline katie nidowicz

• Copper Member
Re: Yamaha Stage Custom vs Live Custom--worth upgrading?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 09:34 AM »
I think it is worth upgrading as well. Have you tried the recording custom? I have a friend who has them and they're really nice too, but not sure of your budget. This is the one:

http://musicplayers.com/reviews/drums/2017/0117_YamahaRecordingCustom.php

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram