• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The dreaded Cold

Started by Misenko, March 25, 2002, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misenko

This isen't directly related to drums, but its to do with health! I'm just wondering if all you guys out there have any special methods of dealing with the dreaded cold! lol. I am suffering from one right now, and I was just wondering if any of you guys have anything you like to do/take/listen to when you have a cold. Do you have a pattented method of cure, or do you like to do anything special when you are off work "ill" ;)
I have to say that I have always been partial to warm Ribena (blackcurrent drink if you don't know) when I'm ill. I don't know why, I just like to have that when I feel a bit down. I think it helps! ;D
Just curious! Anyway, a strange topic yes, but might be fun to answer. I'll see if I get any replies! ;)

Misenko.

sidereal

A great topic actually. :)

First rule: Drink lots of water. Throughout your daily life you should drink a lot of water, but especially as you feel a cold coming on. It's the body's filtration system for removing nasties.

My "cure" is echinacea. Right when I feel the first signs of a cold, I just start loading up on the stuff. Drinking a tea made of it is a great way to take it (use sugar or honey though, cause it's not the tastiest stuff in the world). Celestial Seasonings makes a potent blend, and Traditional Medicinals (found in hippy stores) makes a strong one too.

Vitamins are also important to avoiding a cold in the first place. I don't know if it's available in your neck of the woods Misenko, but a vitamin company called Source Naturals makes a great multivitamin called "Wellness Formula" (more hippy stuff). It includes all the good stuff for regular health: echinacea, ginseng, tons of vitamin C, zinc, garlic... all the stuff that's good for avoiding getting sick. Either it's a nice placebo, or it really works, but this is the first cold season in a long time where I haven't been sick once.

Bart Elliott

This may sound gross, but if I feel a sinus cold coming on, I mix up a saline solution (salt & warm water), use a plastic syringe, and shoot the saline up into my nose. The goal is to get the saline up into the sinus cavity and nasal passages. I actually blow the saline out the other nostril. If you have an advanced cold ... it may hurt like hell, but it sure will heal you up fast.

I've had several doctors tell me that if people did this IMMEDIATELY when the feel a cold coming on, 80% of these folks would never have to make a trip to the doctor.

It works ... just like gargling with warm salt water for a sore throat.

Dwarf

You're right, Bart, that sounds gross.

--
Rob

Peter Jeffery

Misenko-  got a bit of a kick out of your question,

"I was just wondering if any of you guys have anything you like to do/take/listen to when you have a cold."

Listen to??  That's hilarious.   Do you mean that?   For a related rant....I remember being terribly ill with the flu as a young kid- maybe 9 or 10 years old.   Home from school and lying half paralyzed in bed,  I was listening to Jean Michel Jarre's 'Oxygene' repeatedly (automatic reset on my turntable)  until I actually felt like HE was making me more sick than the @$%# flu.   To this day, I can't bare to play his records.   Especially that one.

I realize this has probably nothing to do with your question and is of no help whatsoever to you or to anybody here.   Thank you.        ::)

Misenko

lol, when I said listen to I as just asking if anyone had a particular peice of music they like to chill out to when they don't feel so good, I mean, I guess it sounds kinda silly but I just thought somone might have something they would like to share! ;)

About all your patented cold cures, they all sound pretty good! Although Bartman...I think I'll give yours a miss! ;D sounds nasty!

I like to talk a vitamin C tablet or two while I feel a cold coming, and I keep taking the vitamin C. I was told if you feel a cold coming just smash it with as much vitamin C as you can...don't know if it works though! Oh, and did you know that blowing your nose actually prolongs your cold? I was told that it blows the infection deeper into the sinus and thus makes your cold last longer...although I blow my nose anyway! Just thought I'd share that with you! ;D

Misenko.

Bart Elliott

QuoteAbout all your patented cold cures, they all sound pretty good! Although Bartman...I think I'll give yours a miss!
Well, I understand ... but it's not that bad. It's not like you've got junk coming out ... you're supposed to blow your nose before you do this!!! The big thing is that it will burn like crazy ... but it DOES work ... and is recommended by many doctors. I don't enjoy doing it, but knowing that it will make me heal up and stop any sinus infections ..... I'm all there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Perhaps you shouldn't be hanging out at the Cafe if you are sick; we all might catch it! lol

felix

I had good luck this year with a product called "Cold Ease"- it is basically Zinc.  One really feels better after eating one of the things and the package says that it will reduce your symptoms 40% faster.  It should be at the grocery store for $5.30-  I feel it cut my actual cold symptoms in half...but I still have the hack a month later.

Chicken soup works too...I don't know why but it does.

Misenko

Don't worry, I am not going to infect the Cafe with germs!......ah...ahhh...ahCHOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh dear, better get you gas masks on boys (and girls)! ;D

Misenko.

sidereal

Don't go TOO apesh**t on the Vitamin C. Too much of it can actually be harmful (although you'd have to take quite a bit of it for that to happen).

When the symptoms come on, the key ingredients seem to be echinacea and zinc. Vitamin C won't do much at that point. V-C is actually a preventative measure, to keep you healthy before you experience symptoms. Once you have the symptoms, C won't really help much.

Bart Elliott

QuoteDon't go TOO apesh**t on the Vitamin C. Too much of it can actually be harmful (although you'd have to take quite a bit of it for that to happen).

When the symptoms come on, the key ingredients seem to be echinacea and zinc. Vitamin C won't do much at that point. V-C is actually a preventative measure, to keep you healthy before you experience symptoms. Once you have the symptoms, C won't really help much.

You're right ... but even Echinacea has it's limits once you are sick. The idea is to take this stuff BEFORE you get sick so that you DON'T get sick. The Echinacea helps to strengthen your immune system.

I saw a very interesting show on the Health Channel a few weeks ago ... which went into detail what you body goes through to kill a virus. If you are taking this stuff AFTER you feel bad ... you are really too late. The feeling bad stage is the result of your body fighting the virus; you're already 80% of the way over it. All the over the counter crap just reduces the unpleasant symptoms, which is our body's way of dealing with the sickness.

I hope I see this documentary again so I can tape it, and get all the facts straight. It was VERY informative.

brad

they say either 1-2 weeks on and 1-2 weeks off for the ech. it has worked for me in the past when i have had the discipline and good memory to keep it up.

Felix, perhaps the 2 cigs at once may be contributing to that hack of yours a month later? :)

Felix Stein

I know it is.  I just can't quit.  I do okay for awhile and then I'm back off the wagon.  The wife is starting Yoga so maybe she will start wanting to get healthy...who knows.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Hot and sour soup from China Way and Mozart "Requiem" CD on continuous play. It's even better if your girlfriend has motherly instincts and will go get all this stuff together so you don't have to leave the bed. Man, have I been missing out all these years.

BAnimalG

Vitamin C and s**tloads of WATER!!  Okay, there's my 2 cents worth of advice.  Now as for the rest of you....you all sound like a room full of grandmothers!!  LMAO!!