• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Relaxation

Started by jamoflage, December 27, 2001, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamoflage

One of the first pieces of advice that I have heard pro musicians give is that you need to learn to relax.  This is also something that I have seen beginners and amatures ignore for way too long. (myself included)

My new quest, which I learned from a guitar practice website is to pay close attention while I am playing, to what muscles I am flexing while playing, and to relax any muscles that are unnecessarily tense.  (This can vary from the muscles close to the muscle in use, to facial muscles, back muscles etc..)  

It makes sense that as you learn something new, you will struggle to learn it and in the process you will tense up muscles that don't need to be flexed.  If these tensions are stored in your 'muscle memory',  you will remain unnecessarily tense long after you have learned the technique.

Excessive tension can lead to health problems like carpel tunnels, or 'repetitive stress syndrome',   (...is that what its called?),  aside from detracting from your groove.

Basically what I have gathered is that in order to 'un-learn'  bad, or unnecessary muscle memory,  you have to SLOW DOWN, RELAX, and BREATHE!   This is really borring, but in a short time it has worked wonders for me.

Does anyone have anything to add to this?  Techniques, reminders,  etc...

paying more attention,
jamoflage

Misenko

I do Karate, and its exactly that principle. Wado Ryo Karate is a style based on the realxation of your whole body in order to become stronger. OK, so that sounds stupid cause you would think tensing your muscles up would be stronger, but its not! force=mass X velocity, and since the mass of your arm doesn't change its speed that matters, and you are faster when you relax.

I havent been playing long, but I find that when I'm playing I always do it better relaxed. We were being recorded a while ago and the guy doing the recording said there was a notable difference in our quality of playing when we practiced and when we were being recorded. the practices were ALWAYS better. This was because we all tensed up for the recording and played worse!

Relaxation is very important I agree fully! I just wish I could do it more often!!!  :)

Misenko.

Bart Elliott

Jamoflage, I think you've said it well; and it's all true.

I've always believed that it takes about 21 days (3 weeks) to develop a new habit. If you can do what you are saying, consistently for this period of time, I think you will notice a definite difference in your playing. Does this mean you don't have to work on it anymore? Absolutely not! I'm just saying that in that length of time you should notice a positive change. It's those first 3 weeks that are killer!

Louie Bellson has always said that the faster you play, the more relaxed you have to be. You have to your body out of the way ... so to speak.

Relaxing will help keep you from burning calories needlessly; only using the muscles that are actually needed.

I highly recommend video taping your practice sessions, and even your performances. Watch for things that you may miss, thinking that you are totally relaxed ... but your not. Things like facial tension, pursing lips (that's me), tongue in cheek, contorted body movements, etc.

Steve Gadd has always been a big influence on me with his breathing concepts. Basically he just breathes with the phrases of the music ... which is no big deal, but you'd be surprised just how many drummers hold their breath. If you need help in that area, you can try counting out loud while you practice ... or even singing!

felix

Yeah, I agree.

I've been stretching the past week before playing.  You know what...it helps.  So I'm going to start making it a habit again.  I feel looser when I play...it's a great feeling.  Loose and relaxed is the way to go.  Believe it or not my 4way is getting better because of it.  I mean if I'm loose I can carry an ostinato with my bottom half and solo patterns on top that normally I would have to write out and synchronize my limbs to it...too cool.  I mean sometimes there is a measure or two learning curve, but being loose and relaxed is really speeding up the learning process.

Stretching and warming up help me relax.  Thanks Bart for reminding me of this important part of drumming.  I think we ought to get into posture one of these days on the kit and how relaxing and posture/balance are intertwined elements.  I have to work on my posture all the time.

popmusic

I'm a runner; I find that going for even a short run earlier in the day before playing any instrument helps with relaxation a lot. All my muscles seem to be more relaxed than normal, and -- this is the important part -- my mind is relaxed. It's much easier to become a part of the music when playing.

Peter Jeffery

The test for me is this....can I play a new solo or difficult piece as well on-stage as I can when alone in my studio.   I was finding more and more the answer was NO!   This can be very frustrating.   Regardless of a musician's level of expertise,  we practice for a reason and it just plain sucks to not have all that we've worked for fully available ALL the time.  

I had a situation last year, where, after completing an audition 3 days beforehand,  I found myself sitting 600 miles from home in front of 12,000+ people playing a style and material that was pretty much completely new to me.  Talk about anxiety!   Fortunately, I made it through, but...as far as I'm concerned...a bit stiff sounding/feeling as compared to my progress during my home preparation and 2 rehearsals with the new band.    I wanted to overcome all situations like this in the future...to take my 'practice studio'  relaxation and frame of mind on-stage every time.    

The answer to my needs came in the form of a great book by Madeline Bruser called, 'The Art of Practicing -A Guide to Making Music From the Heart.'   I'd highly recommend it to anyone who, for whatever reason, needs help with practice, and (in my case)  -ways to give your very best in somewhat stressful situations.   Check it out!!

groovsmyth

Excellent focus! I need this! Breathing is the most basic to life and, because involuntary, not considered seriously. Thanks for reminding me to breathe!  ;D

I'll improve with age.   .oO(Don't hold your breath!)