• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Knees.

Started by Misenko, February 11, 2002, 01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misenko

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there is any way that you can start to have knee trouble through drumming, I don't know exactly what is going on, but my knees have been "clicking" a lot lately, and I am hoping nothing is wrong, I'm just wondering if anyone knows, or has any experience of joint troubles due to drumming, and any ways to try to make drumming less stressful on the old knees and the like. It may be nothing, but I don't really want to take any chances! If it carries on I'm going to see a doctor, but for now, I would appreciate any feedback on this! Things like stool height, pedal technique and stuff! Thanks in a advance! :)

Misenko.

(I hope nothing is wrong! I'm only 17 and shouldn't be getting joint problems!!! :-/ )

rlhubley

It's probably nothing, but if you are concerned, go see a Dr.

As for tips, your seat height should be so that your legs are paralell to the ground, basically a 90 degree angle.  Sitting too high or low will be hard on the knees and back.  Also, make sure the pedal is at a comfortable distance from you.  You should have your lower leg going straight down.  Many newer drumers have the drum to far from them, or occasionally too close.

felix

It's age...your joints are loosening up/wearing.  And it only gets better!

jamoflage

hey check this out....I have been feeling some irritation in my right knee after playing 'heel down' on the bass drum.
    I started playing heel down so I could be more relaxed while playing, and I'm hoping that the pain is just from working muscles that are not built up yet...

any comments?

jamoflage

Bart Elliott

Make sure you are stretching out before you play. Your Achilles Tendon is going to get worked out a LOT more with your heel down. This is due to the fact that when you lift your toes (ball of foot) to play, you are flexing your foot to the maximum when the heel is down. Lifting the heel means you don't have to lift the toes as much to play. If your foot were parallel to the floor this would be a big deal ... but it's not. When it's on the pedal board, you heel is LOWER than the front of the foot. Lifting the heel is making the foot more parallel with the floor.

I'm just explaining what's going on and by no means trying to say you should use one technique over another. You just need to stretch out your legs and feet. Remember all those calisthenics you had to do back in school? Well, now's the time to start doing them again.  8)

groovsmyth

My family is genetically prone to knee problems. The best preventive measure for weak knees is strong quadriceps(thigh) muscles. However, when weight training, always develop the opposing muscle group too, which would be the hamstrings(back of thighs), to maintain a balance of strength and prevent injury.

Drumming is an athletic musical instrument. (not only playing, but carting ;D) It behooves us to warm up and cool down (stretch) as Bart says.

If you listen to your body and keep track of your trial and error seat and instrument positioning, and the subsequent muscle/joint feedback via a journal, you can narrow down your ideal ergonomic position at the kit.