• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Any suggestions to help my hands

Started by clearseawater, January 20, 2002, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clearseawater

BO733, I cant understand why you are repeating something Bart said and you not add something of your own.

Could you please expand on Barts thoughts......

As regards my condition simply stretching out and loosening up doesnt cover it as it would normally.

If you read my posts I explane that I have Arthritis and different techniques should be used otherwise damage can be done.

Without sounding elitist I am an experienced drummer that does understand the importance of a good grip technique but my situation is maybe not the norm, infact it isnt.

A lot of drummers give up with my joint damage so I was looking for alternatives to the usual advice.

felix

My grand mum and my mum both had/have it pretty bad where their finger joints got all twisted up.

I get it now and then...this morning I had it in my right hand.  

It wasn't because of improper technique either...I'm getting old I think...great.

Peter Jeffery

Having some prolonged pain in the two small fingers and joints of each hand....first time this happened.   Must be from too much shock (I hope).   We've been playing bigger stages lately and judging from my slightly pinged heads...I'm hitting harder than usual.   Anybody have a remedy?   I'm thinking ibuprofen.   ???

felix

OH you poor little rock star.

There has to be something better around than motrin.

I found this new drink combination...red bull and skyy vodka ...the combination will make you feel like a teenager...unfortunately you will be drunk- which might affect your playing.

BO733

clearseawater - hi. Hey I have no idea what the heck that post was.  ??? I am sorry.  But I have found a great thing that a lady at work suggested for carpel tunnel and tendonitis. They are Chinese balls that you roll in the palm of your hand. I have a set and use them all the time for stress and warming up. They just require a "rolling" of the fingers and non-stress movement of the hands. I'm not sure what they're called, but I'm sure you've seen them. They are two solid "balls" and some of them have a kind of chime inside. Seriously, they help. I type a lot at work and my hands get fatigued; so I take a break and use the balls. I hope that might help.

And I really didn't mean to just copy what Bart said. I think I was trying to quote and then add. I really am sorry about that man. And my wife might know some ideas as far as vitamins or mineral supplements; she works at a health food store. Again -- It was just an error. :-[  You mentioned you've tried a lot of things and supplements -- but I'll dig some more and try and help.

BO733

Ok. I have been doing some research. I've been using a reference book that is called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing". Clearseawater -- I realize that what you have is Arthritis -- which is more severe than CTS or Tendonitis, (but those rolling balls do help) And as serious as your condition is, I hope you accept my sincere apology for making that mistake. ;)

So, this may be long-winded but it is directly from the source that my wife suggested:

"Rhematoid Arthritis(RA) : a type of inflammatory arthritis, is an autoimmune disorder. An overactive immune system can be just as harmful as a weak one. As with other autoimmune disorders, RA is a "self-attacking-self" disease. In this case, the body's immune system improperly identifies the synovial membrane as "foreign". Inflammation results, damaging cartilage and tissues in and around the joints. Often, the bone surfaces are destroyed as well because inflammation in the joints triggers the production of enzymes that slowly digest adjacent tissue. The body replaces this damaged tissue with scar tissue, forcing normal spaces within the joints to become narrow and the bones to fuse together. RA creates stiffness, swelling, fatigue, anemia, weight loss, fever, and, often, crippling pain."

Ok -- so this sounds similar (I couldn't find the psyoris type)

So -- here is what the book suggests:

"NUTRIENTS:
Essential:

BROMELAIN -- as directed on label three times a day. COMMENTS -- An enzyme that helps to stimulate production of prostaglandis. Reduces inflammation when taken between meals. Helps digestion of protein when taken with meals.

CHONDROITIN SULFATE -- 500 - 1,000 mg daily.
COMMENTS -- Nutritional support for strengthening joints, ligaments, and tendons.

ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS (Total EFA and EFA Joint Formula from Health From the Sun, omega-3 and omega-6 oil complexes, salmon oil from Carlson Labs, flaxseed oil, Kyolic-EPA from Wakunaga, and Lyprinol are good sources) -- As directed on label twice daily. Take with meals.
COMMENTS -- To supply essential fatty acids that increase production and activity of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. Helps to control arthritis pain and inflammation.

GLUCOSAMINE SULFATE --(GS-500 from Enzymatic Therapy) -- As directed on label OR N-Acetylglucosamine (N-A-G from Source Naturals) -- 500 - 1,000 mg daily.
COMMENTS -- Very important for the formation of bones, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and synovial (joint) fluid.

METHYLSULFONYL-METHANE(MSM) -- 500 -1,000 mg 3 times daily. COMMENTS -- A sulpher compound needed for reducing inflammation and for joint and tissue repair.

S-ADENOSYLMETHIONINE(SAMe) (SAMe Rx-Mood from Nature's Plus) -- 400 mg twice daily. COMMENTS -- A deficiency results in the inability to maintain cartilage properly. Aids in reducing pain and inflammation. CAUTION: do not use if you have manic-depressive disorder or take prescription antidepressants.

SEA CUCUMBER (beche-de-mer) -- As directed on label. COMMENTS -- A rich source of specific lubricating compounds found abundantly in all connective tissues, especially in the joints and joint fluid. It may take 3 to 6 weeks to note an improvement.

SILICA -- As directed on label. COMMENTS -- Supplies silicon, important for formation of apatite crystal, the primary constituent in bone.

SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE (SOD) -- as directed on label.COMMENTS -- An antioxident that protects fluid in the joints from destruction by free radicals. A sublingual form is recommended. Consider injections (under a doctor's supervision). OR
CELL GUARD from Biotec Foods -- as directed on label COMMENTS -- an antioxident complex that contains SOD.

TRIETHYLGLYCINE  (TMG) -- 500 - 1,000 mg in the morning. COMMENTS -- reduces homocysteine levels.

VITAMIN E -- 400-800 IU daily. COMMENTS-- A powerful antioxident that protects the joints from damge by free radicals. Increases joint mobility. Low levels of vitamin E have been found in people with arthritis and lupus. Use d-alpha-tocopherol form. CAUTION: If you are taking blood-thinning medication, consult your physician before taking this supplement."

There is a list of VERY IMPORTANT supplements and HELPFUL supplements in the book as well. I can send you those if you would like. But here goes nothing in the Herbal category:

"Alfalfa contains all the minerals essential for bone formation, and may be helpful for arthritis. It can be taken in capsules or in whole, natural form. Kelp also contains essential minerals and is good for thyroid function.

Boswellia, an Ayurvedic herb, is important for reducing inflammation. It also helps restore blood vessels around inflammed connective tissue. Choose a product standardized to contain 150 milligrams of boswellic acids per tablet or capsule. Boswellia can also be used topically, in cream form, to relieve pain. Boswellin Cream from Nature's Herbs is a good source.

Cat's Claw is helpful for relieving arthritis pain. Feverfew and ginger also are good for pain and soreness. Ginger is a powerful antioxident that has anti-inflammatory effects. The active component is gingerol.

The hot peppers known as cayenne (capsium) contain a compound called capsaicin that relieves pain, appernetly by inhibiting the release of substance P, a neurotransmitter responsible for communicating pain sensations. Capsaicin can be absorbed through the skin. Mix cayenne powder with enough wintergreen oil to make a paste and apply it to painful joints, or use cayenne peppers in a poultice. This may cause a stinging sansation at first, but with repeated use, pain should diminish markedly. Cayenne can also be taken in capsule form (Cool Cayenne from Solaray is a good source).

Du Huo Jisheng Wan is an herbal Chinese patent medicine that has proven to be beneficial for arthritis sufferers.

Joint Care from Himalaya USA is an Ayurvedic herbal combination formula designed to support joint health.

Nettle leaf is used in Germany for its anti-inflammatory properties.

Noni, known a "the sacred plant" to Polynesian peoples in the South Pacific, has been used for over 2,000 years for pain, arthritis, and other health problems.

Phytodolor from either PhytoPharmica or Enzymatic Therapy is a patented blend of ash bark, aspen bark, and goldenrod. It has been used in Germany for both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis for more than thirty years.  Reseach has found it to be safe and easy on the stomach. CAUTION: Do not use this formula if you are sensative to salicylates.

Tumeric contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. It is good for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. The recommended dose is 600 milligrams daily.

Other beneficial herbs include brigham tea, buchu leaves, burdock root, celery seed, corn silk, devil's claw tea, horsetail, nettle, parsley tea, willow bark, and yucca."

So that's straight from that book. The authors are MD's and it is a huge book with lots of info. There are more things about RA in it -- especially dealing with diet. Please let me know if this helps.  It was written in 2000, so I think it's reliable and up to date.  

I asked my wife her opinion -- she gave the "bible" (the book I just quoted from) and she also suggests that you soak your hands and wrists (which I know you've done) with warm water and Epsom salt (you can buy it at the grocery store.
Hope you get feeling better. :)  AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!