• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Help - Defective Hands!

Started by Manticore999, March 28, 2003, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manticore999

Honestly, I think I have defective hands!   I can't seem to keep my grip on the sticks.  I tried using dipped sticks, and while they certainly solve the slipping problem they're tearing my hands apart.  I have blisters on blisters, cracks and splitting, etc. where the 'dip' rubs my hands.  I thought of getting gloves, but jeeez, this seems like a wimpy way out!  Others don't seem to have this problem (ok - some do).  

I primarily use matched grip and I've begun toying with the grip Steve Smith describes in his video (using the middle finger as the fulcrum instead of the index finger), but I'm finding that very uncomfortable and just makes the slipping worse.

I appreciate any help you folks can give me - this is frustrating!

Thanks. :o ???

RelientKngOdrums

Quote from: Manticore999 on March 28, 2003, 02:44 PM
Honestly, I think I have defective hands!   I can't seem to keep my grip on the sticks.  I tried using dipped sticks, and while they certainly solve the slipping problem they're tearing my hands apart.  I have blisters on blisters, cracks and splitting, etc. where the 'dip' rubs my hands.  I thought of getting gloves, but jeeez, this seems like a wimpy way out!  Others don't seem to have this problem (ok - some do).  

I primarily use matched grip and I've begun toying with the grip Steve Smith describes in his video (using the middle finger as the fulcrum instead of the index finger), but I'm finding that very uncomfortable and just makes the slipping worse.

I appreciate any help you folks can give me - this is frustrating!

Thanks. :o ???

as for the blisters and pain of the skin on your hands... that's just the natural process of your hands getting used to the rubbing of the sticks. Remeber, your hands aren't used to that kind of rubbing. Eventually, your hands will "toughen up" and get used to the rubbing.
    as for the drum sticks sliping.... there could be many reason for that. if you could be more specific of how they slip or move.... do your hands get very clammy and swetty causing sticks to slip... or is it more of a problem with the way you're holding your sticks... specifics duuuude! ;)

stumpy-p

Is it due to sweating?  I knew someone with a similar issue and they switched to Truline brand sticks. They have a grip lathed into the stick and it took some getting used to. But he seems really happy with them now.

Just a thought :)

Manticore999

Wow - quick replies .....  appreciate it.

It's not so much a matter of sweating, it's really the opposite.  My hands are naturally really dry and unless I've got a death grip on them they slide - though it's more of a problem with my right hand.  

RelientKngOdrums - what specifics would help you, I'm not sure how to be more specific.  Matched grip, with my index and thumb fingers as the fulcrum.  I try to hold the sticks at a point where they bounce easier - so not too far down the shaft.  BTW I use 5B nylon tipped hickory sticks, if that matters.

Appreciate your patience and help!

Louis Russell

If you have a lot of blisters you need to let them heal before you play again.  If keep your sticks from slipping try drumstick wax.  Bart did a review a while back and you can read it in the VIP room.  Most of the time blisters are caused by gripping too tightly.  

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Manticore999 on March 28, 2003, 04:05 PM
It's not so much a matter of sweating, it's really the opposite.  My hands are naturally really dry and unless I've got a death grip on them they slide - though it's more of a problem with my right hand.  
I've had the same problem ever since I moved to Ewetah, which has very low humidity.  So before I play I use hand cream on my overly dry hands.  Specifically, I use Vaseline Intensive care because it doesn't leave that greasy residue that tends to cause gripping problems too.  Okay, let the jokes fly...  ::)

Tom

snuf

Do the sticks just slip or do you lose you're grip because you're hand (wrist) starts to get tired and feels like it's getting all tensed?  

ChinaCymbol

I used to own a pair of zildjian sticks that had a rubber grip on them from about the middle of the stick down, and they were perfect for grip, althought if you didn't wear gloves you got these huge blisters on your index finger. try em

Ratamatatt

Quote from: Manticore999 on March 28, 2003, 04:05 PM
Wow - quick replies .....  appreciate it.

RelientKngOdrums - what specifics would help you, I'm not sure how to be more specific.  Matched grip, with my index and thumb fingers as the fulcrum.  I try to hold the sticks at a point where they bounce easier - so not too far down the shaft.  BTW I use 5B nylon tipped hickory sticks, if that matters.

Appreciate your patience and help!

I have the same problem.  My hands are dry and sticks slip around too much.  That's why I use Regal Tip sticks.  Even though, IMHO, the quality is very inconsistent, they have a hard lacquer finish that's easy to hold onto with dry hands.  I suppose if you've got sweaty hands, they'd be tough to hold onto.

If you don't like Regals try dipping your favorite sticks into a can of clear lacquer or shallack.

Ratamatatt

random

or you could just get the gloves... ::)

wrap electric tape katana style around the grip part of the stick

like that

tainteddrummer

to take care of the blister problem just put a little piece of paper medical tape around your exsisting blisters so they have time 2 harden and form calluses, then once they are callused you won't need the tape anymore
  when i first started playing i used 2 play to metallica and slayer cd's .... after being done playing i had HUGE blisters.. the tape thing works

brian

I too suffer from the same problem and have used the Z. dip sticks and as you know they tore up my hands as well...So go get your self some Promark Stick Wrap and i will bet my left eye that it will solve all of your problems!

drummer_21

I'm a little late on this one, but i reccomend trying the Akira Jimbo signature stick.  It has a coating on it that is easy to grip and doesnt give you blisters, and it gets a better cymbal sound than any other stick i've used before.