• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Best Single Ply Coated Head?

Started by 1KitWonder, March 29, 2003, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1KitWonder

I am looking for the best single ply coated head.  The one with the best tone, most durability, etc.  I want it to be nice and warm and to be suitable for resonant and batter use so nothing extremely thin.  I am open to any companies, just let me know.

Bart Elliott

AQUARIAN Texture Coated
www.aquariandrumheads.com

It's the best for my needs, but I don't know that there is really one drumhead that is the "best" ... it's all subjective.

The coating on this drumhead lasts longer than anything else on the market ... and Aquarian is the most consistent brand of drumheads I've used ... and I've used them all. I've been using Aquarian exclusively now for over 12 years.

jokerjkny

IME, Aquarians last about as long as Evans, and both are as durable as a single ply can be, while Remo's single plies sorta lag behind, and for my playing anyways, chip rather easily.

keep in mind, however, there are SOOO many variables to a snare drum that can affect which head sounds best for your drum.  thusly, best to experiment!

ergo...

for my Ayotte 14x5.5, Remo's Coated Ambassador seems to kick major butt, and i like the light open feel it offers.  

but the 4 month old Aquarian's Texture Coated has yet to chip on me, and it doesnt sound too shabby, tho just a hair less open feeling than the Remo.

and finally, for my new smaller 12x7 snare drum, for some reason, i love the meaty attack the Evans G1 Coated.  Tho the Evans' Power Centers arent single ply, i like the meaty, thumpy, and not as ringy sound it gives my Ayotte for rock.

Joe

That's what I like about coated Ambassadors.  They have this airy, yet direct sound.