• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Need some help--urgent

Started by Jason00, December 31, 2001, 05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason00

Hey Bartman-

Found a link to your great site at "Expert Forums" and thought I would also try posting my question here.

I need some help--I screwed up my wrist bowling last week. I was only able to play for about a half an hour at a time over the weekend before it started to get uncomfortable. I didn't want to push it because I have to play tonight.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a quick fix to get me through the evening--heat/cold, wrapping, stretching, over-the-counter drugs--something of that order. I'm sure rest and recuperation time would be the best, but that really isn't an option.

Thanks,
JB

James Walker

Jason,

I'm not a doctor, not a therapist, not a chiropractor - in other words, I have no background in the field, so please don't consider this "medical advice." ÊAll I'll offer is my perspective as a player/teacher:

1) ÊThe idea of looking for a "quick fix" for an injured wrist (and yes, I understand and sympathize with your situation, facing a gig this evening) scares the living hell out of me as a player. ÊI'd be leery of running to meds as a solution - you may end up only treating the symptom (pain/discomfort), while not only not solving the original problem, but causing other problems as a result. Ê(Pain is the body's way of telling you that something's not right - and if you only eliminate the sensation of pain, you could be doing something horrible to your wrist without realizing it.)

2) ÊIf you're in a colder climate tonite, let your hands warm up after getting inside, before you start doing any playing - don't necessarily apply heat to the wrist, just let them get to room temperature. Ê("And wear your gloves! ÊAnd a nice warm hat!" - to quote moms everywhere.)

3) ÊSTRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH! ÊStretch the muscles and joints in your wrists and hands before playing, and stretch them AFTER playing - not only is it important to "warm up" before playing, you have to "warm down" as well - let your muscles and tendons gradually make the transition from intense activity to inactivity. ÊNote how marathon runners don't just stop when they finish a race - they walk around for a minute or two at least, to allow their bodies to make a similar transition. ÊWarm down at the end of each set, and stretch again before starting the set. ÊEasy, gentle stretching - I've seen the way some drummers "stretch" before playing and it looks like they're getting fired up for an Ultimate Fighting match...

4) ÊIf you can find time during sets, take a moment to put down the sticks (at least, the stick for the hand in question), and just let it relax. ÊIf the tunes your band is doing allow you a few moments here and there (rubato guitar intro, band leader chatting it up with the audience, etc.), all the better.

Good luck - take it easy, and have a good gig.

JW

Bart Elliott

DITTO!!!!

As always, well said James.

rudibass2

I broke my wrist about 20 years ago and when it flares up I have found Mineral Ice helps to sooth the imflamation without masking any pain that would signal you to give it a rest.  That and doing all the things James mentioned.

James Walker

I should add that the techniques I listed above are things I do on a regular basis, whether performing or practicing - the old "ounce of prevention v. pound of cure" thing. ÊKnock wood, I've been able to avoid any serious wrist/finger/arm problems, and I'll bet that these simple little steps have been a big factor. ÊThat, along with having good technique to begin with (and that statement is offered with all due modesty).

It's amazing how less forgiving your body is when you get into your 30s. ÊWhen I was in college, I never gave a second thought to "warming down." ÊAll it took, tho, was one good four-hour practice session on marimba about six years ago, realizing later that evening (without stretching/"warming down" afterwards) that the tendons in my forearm felt like the strings on a tennis racket. ÊBoy, *that'll* open your eyes...

Jason00

Thanks everyone!

I made sure to stretch before we started, at the breaks and when I could in between.  I also took a couple of Motrin before we started.   I also adjusted my grip by turning my wrist a bit and playing with more of a French grip (I think that's the name I read) so I had more of a back-and-forth motion instead of a wrist-twisting motion when I played.

I got through the evening just fine, but I was a little sore the next day.  Some more stretching and shorter practice periods seems to be working out the kinks.

JB