• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

chain chain chain..

Started by Jetter2, December 16, 2003, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetter2

What the advantage of 2 chains versuse 1 versus belts? I mean, they all do the same thing, why need 2 chains, does it just offer a more powerfull pull by griping more??

epiarch

what i have always been told is 2 chains are stronger than 1...so your pedal should last longer and not break (my first good pedal was a pearl powershifter single chain, and there was never a brakeage problem. i had it for 3 years) and also have less side to side movement. (i do notice this second one though. i have a tama double iron cobra power glide and it has double chains. the pedal board wont move from side to side like that single chain one did) i am not totally sure about the straps, but it may have something to do with the sound of the pedal. a strap will be quieter than a chain, even though most of the noise is in the springs. plus they are cheaper. but i like they are probably just as good as a chain. anyone can correct me if i am wrong :)

Jetter2

Well, I head the same, belt=quieter. I have a Pearl Doubble Eliminator, and just the single hit from that pedal is MUCH strongter than the one off my Rogers stock pedal. But then again, i havent incorperated into the fact that I have the physics of the Cams and other things. I have the blue cams on there right now...but it dosent seem they have thier "full effect" of the cam design, unless the beater is pretty much paralell to the floor. I like the Black cam too...it just feels right. that red one...its wicked weird.

Gregg Rivers

Two chains add strength but also eliminate a lot of the "wobble" from side to side that a single chain pedal has. I own both (sing and double chain) and noticed the double is much more sturdy. Twice as much!  ;) Pedal makers use to use motorcycle chain! However the links were so big that you could feel as each one rolled off the pedal. The smaller chains roll smoother. Use to have an old nylon type strap drive, as far as smoothest between it and the chain are concerned, I have a tough time telling them apart. :-\