• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Mallets

Started by RaTaTaTjuice87, March 09, 2004, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaTaTaTjuice87

???

Im looking for some mallets for 4 mallet uses. I really don't know what to get because obviously online (which is where id have to purchase them) Im looking for something light, but with a large sound. Any websites in mind?

Jon E

need more info.

What instrument will you be playing?
Do you want alot of attack, or none?

RaTaTaTjuice87

Well, Im looking for mallets in particular for the marimba.  Not really a whole lot of attack, and something nice and light for four mallet playing. I have a pair of michael burrit(soft-med soft) and also a pair of Leigh stevens(LS20, whatever that means..) in mind, just by judging pics on the internet. Im also looking for some vibe/xylo mallets too, that have a great deal of attack.  I have pretty small but ive played with really heavy mallets and id just like to have something nice and light(meaning i have a set of evelyn glennies, which are super heavy and not good to use with 4 mallet playing)

psycht

The Leigh H. Stephens are awsome mallets. If your lookign for a good vibe/xylo check out the Burton series of mallets. I think they are made by Malletech as well.

James Walker

Quote from: RaTaTaTjuice87 on March 09, 2004, 07:11 PMIm also looking for some vibe/xylo mallets too, that have a great deal of attack.  I have pretty small but ive played with really heavy mallets and id just like to have something nice and light(meaning i have a set of evelyn glennies, which are super heavy and not good to use with 4 mallet playing)

Lighter vibe mallets with a great deal of attack?  

I'd check out something like the Balter "mushroom head" series, which is similar to the old Good Vibes "David Friedman" mallets.  (IIRC, Good Vibes - or I guess they're made by Musser now - still makes the same basic mallet, a yellow mushroom-head wrap.)  Nice and light, but with a pretty good tone for a lighter mallet, and a good contact sound.

Balter also has their Pro Vibe series, which is a little bit heavier than the mushroom-headed mallets, and they come in a variety of hardnesses, ranging from the softest in the set (model #24), which produces a sound somewhat reminiscent of the old Good Vibes Burton mallets*, all the way up to the silver cord "jazz" model (#25), which you could use to smash bricks into little pieces if you so chose (it's a very hard mallet, a little hard for my tastes but good if you are playing vibe with a big band with no microphones...)  They'd also function on xylophone, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a xylo mallet - I'd rather use a medium-hard plastic-headed mallet, or a Malletech "Bob Becker" model mallet, depending upon the context.

*  (I hasten to add that I've heard NO currently-manufactured vibraphone mallets that really capture the magic of those old Good Vibes "Burton" mallets...what I offer above is simply a rough description.)

jokerjkny

prolly not what you're looking for, but i'm big on Vic Firth's T2 Cartwheels.  

light feel, and lightning quick response.  awesome for some light duty mallet action on my tightly tuned bebop tight toms.   8)  great for low volume finesse.

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/individualsticks/T2.html]

Bart Elliott

Quote from: jokerjkny on March 09, 2004, 11:32 PM
prolly not what you're looking for, but i'm big on Vic Firth's T2 Cartwheels.  

light feel, and lightning quick response.  awesome for some light duty mallet action on my tightly tuned bebop tight toms.   8)  great for low volume finesse.

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/individualsticks/T2.html]

He needs mallets for percussion keyboard instruments ... not timpani.  ;)

Larry Lawless

Quote from: James Walker on March 09, 2004, 09:37 PM
*  (I hasten to add that I've heard NO currently-manufactured vibraphone mallets that really capture the magic of those old Good Vibes "Burton" mallets...what I offer above is simply a rough description.)

Too true, Jim, too true!! I still have a pair of those original Burtons made by Bill Marimba that I bought in the early 70's. I was excited when Vic Firth came out with a set that advertised them to be the closest thing to it. The yarn was in shreds after 2 months of heavy playing!

Had a discussion about this with George Barrett of Innovative recently. Maybe they will come up with something closer to the original.

To get back to the original topic, I have recently been using more Innovative Percussion mallets in my 4 mallet playing. I would highly recommend the new Anders Astrad line for what it sounds like you are looking for.

James Walker

Quote from: llawless on March 10, 2004, 05:21 AMTo get back to the original topic, I have recently been using more Innovative Percussion mallets in my 4 mallet playing. I would highly recommend the new Anders Astrad line for what it sounds like you are looking for.

I'm not familiar with that line in particular, but I have to say that Innovative makes some *outstanding* vibraphone and marimba mallets...even tho I'm a Balter endorser.  ;)

Getting back to the original inquiry...if "light" is your deciding criterion, then definitely look into the Malletech "Leigh Howard Stevens" mallets.  One company that doesn't get much mention, however is Dan Lidster's company, Encore.  I don't know the line well enough to recommend a particular model, but the quality of the Encore mallets I've seen has always been top-notch.

Larry Lawless

Quote from: James Walker on March 10, 2004, 09:59 AM
Getting back to the original inquiry...if "light" is your deciding criterion, then definitely look into the Malletech "Leigh Howard Stevens" mallets.  One company that doesn't get much mention, however is Dan Lidster's company, Encore.  I don't know the line well enough to recommend a particular model, but the quality of the Encore mallets I've seen has always been top-notch.

On second thought, I'm going to have to concur with Mr. Walker on the light mallets. One of the reasons I don't personally use the Malletech LHS series is that I prefer a more front weighted mallet (the other being I prefer rattan shafts).

Dan is a very nice guy and makes great mallets. I have a set of his Encore Nancy Zeltsman series and his latex wrap series in my everyday bag, but I like them because they are heavy (who says 4 mallet marimba sets need to be light??).

Jon E

I used to put a few wraps of tape toward the heads of my Stevens mallets just to get a little extra weaight up there.  

Though I haven't plyed any mallet stuff for quite a while, I think I still prefer the birch shafts to the rattan (maybe cuz I'm such an amateur).

RaTaTaTjuice87

Quote from: Bartman on March 09, 2004, 11:40 PM
He needs mallets for percussion keyboard instruments ... not timpani.  ;)

Im a girl ;D ; )

RaTaTaTjuice87

Quote from: llawless on March 10, 2004, 12:25 PM
(who says 4 mallet marimba sets need to be light??).

heh, weeell...i myself like heavier mallets as well, but I already own 4 mallets that are Evelyn Glennies...and they are heavy enough lol. Thats why I want something lighter and easier on the wrists

Larry Lawless

Hope you didn't take that as a chastisement. Meant more as good-natured banter.

The reason there are so many mallet manufacturers with so many different models is that there are so many varied players with different styles. Not to mention so much great literature that calls for different degrees of touch. Much better than the dark ages when I started playing and your choice was Musser 2-step fiberglass, or make your own.

Jon E

I've also wrapped my own mallets.  Bought Balter unwrapped and wrapped them myself.  

It's actually a nice project to work on.  

Getting 4 (reasonably) identical mallets ain't as easy as it seems! :)