• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

broken wrist

Started by dissonance, July 10, 2002, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissonance

Hey everyone...I'm brand new to this forum but I've taken a little look around and it looks really great to me.  I'm 17 from Sydney and have been hittin stuff for 8 years...

Well in essence I broke my right wrist a while ago playing soccer and just today got my cast taken off.  Now the docter said it will still take a couple more months to get a full range of movement and strength back.  How do you think it would be best for me to get back into the swing of things (so to speak).

Most importantly I have some really important percussion performances coming up in the next month which include me playing timpani, bongos, congas and xylphones etc.  

I'm most worried about timpani playing since the instrument requires quite extreme wrist actions....

if I'm able to play the songs, but not quite to my full potnetial because of this injury would it be a better idea to simply claim misadventure and not attempt them?  The thing is I've been practicing these pieces for over 6 months.....

Your ideas and comments are greatly apprieciated....

BAnimalG

that totally sucks man.  I feel sorry for you.  If it were me, I would just do simple wrist exercises (which I'm sure Bartman could tell you all about) and consider not doing this gig you have coming up.  In my eyes, if you take care of that wrist now, you'll be much better off in the long run.   :-\

felix

I broke my wrist when I used to ride dirt bikes.

I did not have to have pins or anything put into it so I was back up to full power in a few months after the break.  

Playing never bothered me as much as moving my gear.

Just take it easy and warm up GENTLY...you can pick a warm up from this site.  Don't try to play as fast as you did right off the bat.  You are young, I'd imagine you should bounce back ok.

dissonance

thanx for the sympathy guys.

I had a little go at playin my kit just yesterday and it surprisingly wasn't quite as impossible as I imagined it still was.  This is not to say that I'm at all fit to be able to get back into in any serious manner.

Warming up slowly is good advice that I forgot yesterday in my youthful zeal....I'll keep that in mind.

I think I've decided that if I feel there is any question about my wrist at the time of the performances I'll not play.  They are too important to mess up.  I know this may be hard for you to understand but these performances actually count towards the final mark I'll get at the end of yr.12 that directly impacts on not only what university I can go to but also what I can study once there.  

...its not really something I'm gunna mess around with.

The irony is that I don't even particularly like playing soccer...although breaking my wrist gave me heaps of time to watch more than enough of the world cup

felix

Practice and play the notes for your jurys...you will be fine...that is all crap anyways.  Go to the school with the hottest girls/best climate and nicest drumset.

Don't listen to my advice either