• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

what is the difference between a drum SET and a drum KIT?

Started by Metacognition, March 30, 2004, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metacognition

every time i go on ebay and type in 'drum set' i get a bazzilion matches. and everytime i type up 'drum kit' i also get a bazzillion........whats the difference?

smoggrocks

what's the difference between a first aid kit and a first aid

oh, wait. that doesn't work.  ::)

i'm bustin' yer hump. it's the same thing.

funny how drum terminology gets weird like that. i'm still trying to figure out how they got to 'sock cymbal.'

Jon E

drum kit drum set trap set trap kit kick drum bass drum snare drum side drum hihat cymbal sock cymbal mounted tom ride tom rack tom concert tom melodic tom tom hanks lingo lingo lingo.

Nubert Thump

Drum kit is spelled d-r-u-m k-i-t, drum set is spelled d-r-u-m s-e-t.  That is the difference.

LuvmyLeedy

premier makes a drum kit.
ludwig makes a drum set. (unless it's really old, then it's a trap set)

actually, it's just english vs american expression.

will_tm

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: will_tm on March 30, 2004, 02:02 PM
Which is which?

Id assume from his examples that "kit" is English, and "set" is American.

Mister Acrolite

In the 70's I heard it called drum SET. Over the years, I heard KIT more and more. I think it started in the UK, but spread over here quickly.

Now I use them interchangably. But I never just say set - I say drum set. On the other hand, I refer to my drums simply as my kit.

There - that should clear everything up!  :-X

dizz

I would guess Kit comes from the idea of Traps.

Drumsets used to be called traps; short for contraption.  A contraption is a collection of smaller things that serve a purpose.  That's pretty much what kit is.  That isn't necessarily what a set is.  Maybe these contraptions used to be sold as kits?

Nowadays, drums are sold in matching sets.  Back in the day, they were just a collection of a drum or 2 and a bunch of noise makers

Just speculating

SteveR

Paul L

Quote from: SteveR on March 30, 2004, 04:00 PM
All the cool people say "kit"...

No, that's not correct.  I normally say "Set"... ;)

bilkay

A drum set consists of drums and cymbals but a drum kit consists of cymbals and drums.

hitman357

a drum set has a bucket tom, and a drum kit has a couple pressing circles

James Walker

Quote from: LuvmyLeedy on March 30, 2004, 01:55 PMactually, it's just english vs american expression.

England and America, "...two countries separated by a common language." - Noel Coward.

(OK, I really just wanted to take this opportunity to get Noel Coward into the Cafe search engine...now that this has been accomplished, I get to work on getting Eddie Izzard into the search engine...)

Roger Beverage

"Kit" came with the British Invasion of the '60's along with the proliferation of the matched grip.

Roger

epiarch

Quote from: SteveR on March 30, 2004, 04:00 PM
All the cool people say "kit"...

your wrong...the really really cool people say skins, and the super really really cool people say tubs.... ;D
but i just say set  :(

sjm1112

Quote from: hitman357 on March 30, 2004, 07:48 PM
a drum set has a bucket tom, and a drum kit has a couple pressing circles

But only the REALLY cool ones!