• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

STRYPER's Robert Sweet's drum kit

Started by finnomenon, June 01, 2004, 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnomenon

Does anyone know what kit Stryper's Robert Sweet uses? The videos usually show a huge kit covered all over in yellow and black stripes and i did read somewhere he used a gong bass drum for a floor tom - now what is THAT for?

sjm1112

I don't have a clue what he plays now but he used to play Pearl. It's been a few years however.

DougB

I went on their website but they have no pics on the site of his drums.  Unfortunately I was not able to join my brother at their concert up in NY in November.  Otherwise I could report on his drums.

Jon E

theironcobra

I found several  http://www.chipritter.com/main/robertsweet.htm] pics  here as well...  The date on them is 2004.  You can see the Pearl logo on the side of a tom in the first pic, second row.

DougB

For some reason, I still love that cheesey yellow and black arrangement....

Lecifer

Quote from: DougB on June 01, 2004, 01:56 PM
For some reason, I still love that cheesey yellow and black arrangement....
yeah, the made a video in the 80's with the cymbals hanging by chains from the rafters. :)

SteveR

Quote from: Lecifer on June 04, 2004, 09:31 AM
with the cymbals hanging by chains from the rafters. :)

I was watching VH1 this weekend and they showed that kit.  I started wondering how those cymbals don't swing all over the place when he hits them.  Are they really hanging by chains?  

DougB

Quote from: SteveR on June 07, 2004, 11:35 AM
I was watching VH1 this weekend and they showed that kit.  I started wondering how those cymbals don't swing all over the place when he hits them.  Are they really hanging by chains?  

Aren't the chains reinforced with a small pipe?

chefdoug

I recall seeing a similar set up with chains and stuff in a Queensryche video years ago, kinda cool looking.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: chefdoug on June 07, 2004, 01:11 PM
I recall seeing a similar set up with chains and stuff in a Queensryche video years ago, kinda cool looking.

Yeah, the Queensryche kit had chains that were welded solid, I think. In the 80's there was a guy down here in a local metal band who had done the same.

But I have some vague recollection that Robert Sweet's cymbals actually swung from chains that moved when he hit them. Sounds pretty dangerous!

dizz

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on June 07, 2004, 02:00 PM
But I have some vague recollection that Robert Sweet's cymbals actually swung from chains that moved when he hit them. Sounds pretty dangerous!

Yeah, unless his cymbals are as high up as yours!

Dead Trooper

DougB

Quote from: Dead Trooper on June 07, 2004, 10:59 PM
Try to mic that set up.

Good point!

My brother said that when Sweet played in concert he had to climb a pole down into the middle of the set because there were no openings.

SteveR

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on June 07, 2004, 02:00 PM

That's what I was thinking.  Man, I'd be afraid to play my ride.  That thing could swing back and do some serious damage.  :o

random

i used to hang my cymbals.  it was alot of fun.  i did it because i didn't have any stands. hahaha.

DougB

Quote from: random on June 08, 2004, 05:32 PM
i used to hang my cymbals.  it was alot of fun.  i did it because i didn't have any stands. hahaha.

You better put rubber bumpers on those things!