• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

sonor s class drums

Started by epiarch, December 27, 2003, 12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epiarch

i am getting a new set very soon, but i have yet to decide on what i want for sure. so far i am planning on a masters birch (B stcok) or if i cant get that a pearl session. however, i have recently looked at the sonor s class drums. they look quite cool indeed but i really do not know much about them. there is really no place around here either that sells them or anything for me to try out. so what are your thoughts and such on sonor kits or more specifically, the s class?

unseenguest

s-class drums are 9 ply maple, 8 mm on the bass, 5 mm on the snare tom and ft. only 4 colors cherry, emeral green, paino black and a great natural.  the s class line are made in germany with meticulous attention, like the upper level delite and killah designer kits [ if only i had the money ! ]  i have played these drums and the sound is typical maple, a little hard in my opinion, similar to birch in some respect, but heads and tuning affects everything to some degree.  sonor takes great pride in their upper level kits, as many a great jazz drummer will testify,  you can get a 16.20 bd/ 14.12 ft, 10.9 t and 8.8 tom for around 1500 which is a good deal for german made drums.  remember they make porsche and benz in germany, quality is excellent.  long waits on drums though if not in stock.  check massmusic.net or do a search on google.  play the drums somewhere and buy with your ears.....good luck mate.  order a catlog from hohner, USA the parent company.   www.sonor.de

i own a 1997 pearl prestige session select, maple mahogany maple, shell and am pleased, but like you i am getting into birch, carter beaufords yamaha rec custom always sound so good....the session brx birch is nice, i have yet to play and wish they came in natural maple.

Filacteria

I own a set:

Toms are on the bright side - might want to consider heavier heads than the ones you normally use, just for focus sake.  They have a very open and  cutting sound.  Very nice...

Snare drum - sorry, I only got the shell set - although I did get to hear one in the drum shop.  Not unlike the Starclassics: loud, nice crack, lots of body.  REEEAAAL nice...

Bass drum - Sonor makes the best sounding bass drums out there. Period.  Mine is a 16x22 (considered a bit small by modern standards) and it simply punches and projects the pants off anything in its proce range or the next...  Excellent.

Pearls are very nice, but to me, they're a bit drier.  I like my Sonors.  I think you would too.

Good Luck!

www.filacteria.com

Redcamaro

You should be able to find the S-Class in stores.  There are also new sets that come up on e-bay on a semi-regular basis.  There are some new finishes just out.  My favorite is called "grained maple".  This finish is extremely cool.....almost looks like the old scandinavian birch finish.

In fact, there is a set on e-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38097&item=3730789773&rd=1

RoofLayerDowner

Check out www.sonor.de. They have more colors now. I think they are great drums. Don't own a set though.

felix

Yeah, I saw that set on ebay.  If it had a 16" floor I'd prolly buy it.  Gotta finish the vista kit and then I'll prolly go whole hog for a Delite kit...I've heard the S class, very maple sounding, I might not prefer the thinner shells in the delite, although I seriously doubt that.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: felix on June 24, 2004, 01:32 PMI'll prolly go whole hog for a Delite kit...I've heard the S class, very maple sounding, I might not prefer the thinner shells in the delite, although I seriously doubt that.

The one Delite Ive been able to play was hands down the loudest kit Id ever heard.  Even compared to Yamaha's oak.  It was wierd.  HIGHLY sensitive drums.

rdmitch

I've played the S class at a local musicians night and have owned other high end Sonor sets in the past.  It's a fine musical instrument and IMO far superior to the Pearls in the same price range.  Agreed..they are loud and the set I played was a bit on the  ringy side put a new set of P2's will cure that.  They drawback is that as you want more Sonor hardware (and you will!) the price is a bit of a premium.

Bottom line.. go with the Sonors, you will not be disapointed.

;D

ictus75

Sonor's S-class is one of the best deals on the market for a top quality all maple shell kit. They are Sweet!

daylightdies

I've had the same Yamaha Rock Tour Custom set since I was 15. It is one of those 12", 13", 16" kits. I learned to loathe the 13" as there wasn't much difference from the 12", plus its impossible to tune.

Music is my life and I'm about to cut the second album with my band and decided its time to bring things up a notch. After a fairly intense review of most major-pro brands, I decided to go with the Sonor S-Class. I wanted a 10", 12", 16", 22" configuration. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. I think I may have to add the drums seperately at a higher cost.. :(. Anyone know if this is the case? That'd be a bummer. I demand a 22" kick and a 16" ft, but thought it could be cool to add a 14" into it as well.. only thing is I think the only kit with a 22" kick in the s-class has a 12" & 13".