• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Cymbal upside down.

Started by victor, June 30, 2004, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victor

This is going to sound stupid, but why do they put the one cymbal turned over, I assume its a China. Help. Thanks, Victor.

MrPainless

who is they, and a china cymbal isnt turned over, its "bent" around the edges.  my uncle told me that some people just turn their crashes/rides ect. upside down just for a different sound.

Joe

Generally a china cymbal is mounted in that which is considered an "upside-down" position so that upon crashing, the stick doesn't contact  the sharp, delicate upturned edge when played with a heavy stroke (which seems to be the main way of playing such a cymbal for many drummers).

PEARLSRXDRUMMER

Joe said it best. Also because there is a larger striking point on the backside of the upturned edge.
Ian

victor

Thanks Guys for Your Reply. Victor.

JohnD

when I was a kid I saw a video on MTV, I think it was The Cure, maybe... I saw the guy had a china and I thought it was just an upside-down crash cymbal, so I turned all mine upside-down that day... I didnt see what all the hype was about. A year later I learned all about the china cymbal and decided to keep my story to myself, until now.

DrummerALimal

Might've been wise.  ;) ;D

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Since the china cymbal question has been answered I'll throw this out:

There has also been a somewhat recent practice of putting an upside down splash or small crash on the same cymbal stand as another cymbal. The cymbals share the same post and wingnut.

Jim