• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Broken feet

Started by DrumerFromSysinoid, July 27, 2004, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumerFromSysinoid

hey,

i broke my left foot this morning, specifically my little toe, not sure if it's one of the bones in the toe or the bone behind the toe (long story) and i'm just wondering what i can do to help it heal faster? i've got a gig on the 28th of august and i really need my foot! lol it's not in a cast or anything, but it hurts to move, and i can put pressure down on the other side of my foot, but i wouldn't play drums with it unless it's a lot better then it is now cause otherwise i could make it worse

so yeah, any advice, my bones are kinda weak already and stuff, so they take longer to heal then usual

err anyway, yeah, any help would be much apreciated :)

BVSCfanatic

Is this a stress fracture?  I guess that "minimizing movement" should be rather obvious.  Right?

As far as the nutrients that go into the repair and maintenance of bone, there are three important minerals:  calcium, magnesium, and boron.  Also, vitamin D is essential for proper utilization of calcium.    

Adequate protein is generally needed for any sort of tissue repair.  You might want to consider gelatin -- the same variety of plain gelatin taken by people who want to strengthen their fingernails.  

Those are the things that I would do if I were in your shoes (no pun intended).  

Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television.  This information comes from years of reading on the subject of nutrition.  But I suggest that you do your own research to verify what I have stated.  

Good luck.  

DrumerFromSysinoid

BVSCfanatic

Quote from: DrumerFromSysinoid on July 27, 2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks

My pleasure.  Hope you feel better quickly.   8)

will_tm

I broke my big toe on my left foot playing football about 10 weeks ago, it took 6 weeks until it felt totally better although I could play drums in only slight pain after 3 weeks, which was totally necessary as I had a gig (the last with my current band before they go off to university). To minimise movement I just toned down the hihat foot and minimised double pedal stuff. It was easy enough, and although I wasn't on top form we still put on a good show.

My recommendation is to rest that foot, but also if you have to walk, try and walk as normally as possible as limping could damage other parts of your body (back and hips). If possible get a physio to tape it up for you to support it when you walk.