• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Recent posts

Music, Musicians & Musicianship / Ginger Baker - Dead at 80
Last post by Bart Elliott - November 08, 2019, 06:00 AM
After decades of heroin addiction and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from years of heavy smoking, as well as chronic back pain from degenerative osteoarthritis, Ginger Baker died on October 6, 2019 at the age of 80.

Ginger Baker - Featured Musician
Health & Fitness / Re: Do headphones temporarily ...
Last post by Lissa Hamilton - September 21, 2019, 12:16 AM
Hi NY Frank. Not sure of the answer to your question but I would definitely make sure not to play too loud. My kids keep telling me I play the music too loud in the car so all this drumming must be affecting me now  :)
The Yamaha DTX 450K is also what I got and I am super happy with it.
Looks really good! Enjoy playing it  :)
Technique(s) / Re: The 4 Paradiddle [The Exer...
Last post by Lissa Hamilton - September 21, 2019, 12:05 AM
Very helpful lesson. Thank you.
Technique(s) / Re: Left hand exercises, rudim...
Last post by Lissa Hamilton - September 21, 2019, 12:01 AM
Great video  :)
Percussion Parlor / Re: My Conga Is Stuck! Help!
Last post by Bart Elliott - August 13, 2019, 01:01 PM
Quote from: Trey Yancy on August 13, 2019, 08:20 AM
Use paraffin wax, such as candle wax. Dishwashing liquid? No way. Sticky gooey mess.

A little dishwashing liquid, like Dawn, is not a sticky, gooey mess.  ;D

Wax of any type is going to be a far great "mess". Good luck trying to get that to work it's way between the two stuck surfaces. The wax will harden up very quickly... even if it could make it in there.

An oil or soap is a better lubricant... and a little goes a long way.
Percussion Parlor / Re: My Conga Is Stuck! Help!
Last post by Trey Yancy - August 13, 2019, 08:20 AM
Use paraffin wax, such as candle wax. Dishwashing liquid? No way. Sticky gooey mess.
Percussion Parlor / Re: Congas: how to reduce over...
Last post by Trey Yancy - August 13, 2019, 08:18 AM
There is something that I wish someone had told me when I was starting out:

If you have an issue with overtones, check to make sure that the tension on all the lugs is the same all around. If your drum is tuned so that the pitch is the same when tapping the head near each lug, but you find that the tension on the lugs are not the same (such as one too stiff and another too loose), this is because your rims are out-of-round. Even it the pitch near all lugs is identical, you will get overtones because the drum is not perfectly round. (Imagine a perfectly round pond and an oval-shaped pond. When you drop a pebble into the round pond you get circular ripples. When you do this in an oval pond, the ripples reflect from the edges at different speeds, causing all sorts of points where the ripples collide. This is what happens to a drum head when the rim is not round.)

Remove the heads and use a ruler to measure with width of the top edge of the shell. Rotate the ruler in increments of 60º or so. If you find that the rim is slightly wider in one direction, that is a source of the overtones. Pop on the head and firmly tighten the lugs that are in line with the direction where the rim is wider. This way you can use the head to slowly bring the rim back into round. This can take time - even several months. In the meantime, you can tune up the other lugs for playing, but when not playing, loosen those lugs all the way down while maintaining tension on the other lugs.

Once the rims have been returned to being round and are stable, get into the habit of substantially dropping the tension on all lugs whenever you are not playing. This might seem like a pain in the neck, but when the rim is perfectly round, tuning is easy. When it is out of round, it is a nightmare.
Congratulation!
Finding the right drum set is like falling in love, when its meant to be, you will know!