• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Recent posts

Miscellaneous / Open back headphones
Last post by sara08 - February 28, 2020, 08:18 AM
Hey there!
I am looking for my first open headphones! I don't know too much about it, that's why it's a little problem to choose it properly.
I've been looking thought some reviews, searching for reviews, but I haven't find enough information to make a decision.
Tell me a little about your experience, I hope that someone will help me with that.
My friend has the open headphones, I tried it and I want to buy
I use headphones really often to listen some guitar guides and lessons, to write music and others
Thanks for sharing, Dan.

A snare drum doesn't HAVE to have a snare bed, technically, but most wooden shell drums have one, even if very slight.

Great to hear that you found a solution that solved the problem you were having.

FYI ... if you still have issues dialing in the snare buzz issue, slightly detuning the tension rods on both sides of the snare bed might help. This means you are loosening four tension rods on the snare side (resonant) head; leave the batter side as you have it.

And for anyone else that might be reading this ... snare wires play a big role in snare buzz issues. The quality of the wires, how they lay on the drumhead, the position of the wires in relation to the drumhead, the number of wires, whether the snare wires extend beyond the diameter of the drum, etc. Also the tuning relationship between the snare and batter heads can also be an issue.

I think the higher the quality and workmanship of the drum, the less some of these issues will arise.
About a year ago I got a terrific deal on a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit. The only problem was, the snare buzzed badly no matter how I tuned it.

I finally discovered that the Catalina Club snare has NO SNARE BED! None whatsoever. And by the way, the easiest way to determine what kind of snare bed your drum has (or if it even has one) is to take off the heads, lay the snare flat on a table bottom-side down, turn off the room lights and shine a flashlight into it. The light will come out through the snare beds.

Anyway, I very carefully hand-sanded a snare bed into the drum, about 1/16" deep and maybe 4" wide on each side, tapering off on each end. The problem was not only solved, but this snare doesn't buzz now even with the wires loose.

I imagine anyone with a Catalina Club snare drum has this same problem, which is why I'm posting this.
Music, Musicians & Musicianship / Re: R.I.P. Neil Peart
Last post by Bart Elliott - January 11, 2020, 11:26 AM
Yes, just heard about it myself.

Here is Neil Peart's featured musician page on Drummer Cafe.
https://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/drummer-percussionist/neil-peart.html
Music, Musicians & Musicianship / R.I.P. Neil Peart
Last post by Marcos - January 10, 2020, 11:01 PM
I never thought this day would come because I always believed Neil was a machine.

R.I.P. fellow drum man ...
There are a number of issues that may be causing the snare wires to rattle (beyond what is to be expected). I assume you understand the

• The snare wires are not centered on the bottom (snare) head.
  • The snare head (bottom) is not intune with itself. It also may be too loose or too tight.
  • Is there a snare bed? If so, there are a whole other set of possible issues and necessary approaches.

For me, it would be tough to fully diagnose the issue unless I could actually have the drum in my hands.

I would encourage you to peruse the Drummer Cafe forum and search for past discussions on the topic.

Lastly, if you've not already done so, please checkout and read my article here at the Drummer Cafe: Eliminating Offending Snare Buzz

Hope this helps ... and let me know your progress with the issue!
got it cheap at a flea market. sounds good, but the snares are rattling around. anybody help me? my main snare is a gretsch. REGARDS. rick harper
Music, Musicians & Musicianship / Jingle Bells
Last post by Bart Elliott - December 19, 2019, 08:56 PM
I had fun figuring out how to play multiple parts on various Christmas tunes this year. Here is "Jingle Bells" where I played Glockenspiel with the right hand, Wood Blocks with the left hand, and Sleigh Bells with a foot operated remote pedal that I rigged up.

https://youtu.be/MmZOGpJ5oZ0

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Gear / Equipment / Instruments / Re: Beginner drum head options
Last post by Bart Elliott - December 05, 2019, 11:18 AM
You can use whichever brand you choose or want ... they are very similar. I've been using (and endorsing) Aquarian drumheads since 1989.

The general snare drum head combination to start with would be a single-ply, medium weight, coated batter head (that's the top), and a clear, medium/thin weight snare head (that's the bottom). This is the basic drumhead combination used on snare drums ... and a combination that probably 95% of working professional drummers use.
Gear / Equipment / Instruments / Beginner drum head options
Last post by Jeff Ver - December 02, 2019, 10:44 PM
Hello, I can not call myself a drummer yet, so I need your help a little bit. I ripped my snare accidentally, and have no idea what drum heads to choose. Evans, Aquarian or what? Does it even matter on my level? All reviews look the same https://primesound.org/best-drum-heads/ Here are Evans EMAD on the top of the list but that's for bass. I am confused a little bit. Is Evans G1 pack fine?