• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Brush with Greatness?

Started by Steve Phelps (Shoeless), April 15, 2005, 06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I just found out that I guy I see all the time on the streets of my little town, and whom I've seen play drums with his band a couple of times, is a famous drummer. I don't want to out him for his privacy's sake (at least til I talk to him about it, for all I know he's a cafe member) but I will say this:
He played at Woodstock.

Rusty Beckett

It sure is a small world . . .

Jon E

Is it N.D. Smart from Mountain??  ;D

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Jon E on April 15, 2005, 07:32 AM
Is it N.D. Smart from Mountain??  ;D
He was pre Corky Lang.  

It's N.D. Smart III, just to be anal, but I'm impressed anyone would even know his name!  On "Long Red" you can hear a really good snare drum miss (hits the rim).  This is off of Mountain's first album.

Let's see, I was at Woodstock, but then, I'm not famous, so, it must not be me....  not to mention the fact that no, I didn't actually play there

Jon E

Actually I thought it he was just a "II" not a "III".

Paul DAngelo

Well his website says "II".  Hmm, I'll have to write and tell him his website is incorrect  ;)

smoggrocks

'nother brush with fame:

a few years back i was practicing in this nice studio in ny. the drummer in the room next to me was painfully good, and i felt like a real clod doing my little cheeseball grooves. but i kept going.

then came time to leave. i opened my door, drummer next door opened his, and when i looked up, i saw it was jack dejohnette.

instant humbling!

Roger Beverage

A customer came into the store where I work and paid by credit card. I noticed that it was Bill Chinnock, a contemporary of Springsteen, Southside Johnny, et al, from the early Asbury Park Scene.  He has been living in Maine for years but just opened a mutimedia production studio in my tiny hometown.

Roger

Bart Elliott

I just got back from a rehearsal at S.I.R. here in Nashville ... and Dolly Parton walked in (accidentally). She usually rehearses in Room 1, but we were in 1, she was supposed to be in 2.

Does that count as a brush with greatness?  :)

Dave Heim

Quote from: Bart on April 15, 2005, 04:25 PM
I just got back from a rehearsal at S.I.R. here in Nashville ... and Dolly Parton walked in (accidentally). She usually rehearses in Room 1, but we were in 1, she was supposed to be in 2.

Does that count as a brush with greatness?  :)

I'd say so!  Dolly rocks.  My favorite quote from her: "It takes an awful lot of money to make me look this cheap!"

Rusty Beckett

I'd say so also  :) - In '82 or '83 while on the road with a band backing up a Nashville artist (Leon Ashley) we were playing an outdoor festival where Dolly and Kenny Rogers were the mainliners.  Our band was playing in mid-afternoon.  After playing we were hanging around the back stage trailers and some other players I was talking to asked if I'd like to meet Dolly.  They were on first name bases with her - she was one of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met.  

Once in Pioneer Square in downtown Portland, Oregon ('85 or '86) I ran into Jeff (Skunk) Baxter and Cornelius Bumpus.  The Doobie Bros were playing that evening during their reunion tour.  I walked right up to them and shook their hands.  Both seemed pleased to be recognized - but they didn't have any tickets for the sold out show (I didn't ask, Jeff volunteered that information).  

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: mainedrummer on April 15, 2005, 07:02 PM
She was one of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met.  

I'll second that. I was on the crew of a Theater in SD where she played and she went out of her way to say hi to everyone and ask how we were doing, etc. A real sweetheart!

Drumodad

Wow talk about brushes with greatness,I have quite a few.Maybe because I live in East Hampton New York,which is the Eastern part of Long Island.In the summer out here you cant throw a drum stick without hitting an "A" lister. Besides having two of the best drum teachers I could ask for,Jim Chapin and Dom Famularo,they are both from the Island as we call it.There is a little place called The Stephen Talkhouse here that draws some pretty big acts.Its a small venue.I would say capacity is about 60. There I have met,had pics.taken with and gotten autographed drumheads from Jason Bonham,Anton Figg,he has a house out here also,Chris Franz and Tina Weymouth from the Talking Heads and Tom Tom club,Al Cooper. Got to hang out with Pat Travers a few years ago.In the cross walk in town I have almost run over Dave Grohl,and Adam Sandler,he gave me that goofy looking grin of his,Billy Joel is always crashing into stuff around here.Shopping in the same store as Roy Scheider from Jaws fame,always want to go to the next isle over and go,dun dun dun dun dun.Think my wife is having an affair with Alec Baldwin as much as she sees him,I see him once in awhile.Watched as Jack Nicholson filmed in town,he is too cool!The list goes on, but I cant wait to go to the Modern Drummer Festival in May,a chance to meet some of my favorite drummers,will bring drum heads for autographs,and of course the camera,Danny Carey,Ian Paice,Alex Acuna,Zorro,JoJo Mayer,Chad Smith,oh man I`m getting excited just typing the names!Will post here again after the festival.I am also trying to go to Percussion week this year at Berklee,man I hope Gadd is there!Loose grips to all,Drumodad

Drumodad

How about dissed by greatness.
I was just at the beach checking the waves,was hoping to get some surfing in with my son. Well its pretty flat,decided to go to the next beach to the East.
I`m driving along and I see Sir Paul and his wife riding bikes along the road. I turn around pull along side him ,hold up a drum head and ask if he could please autograph it for me."No way",he says. I say "ok, thanks anyway".
I guess he figured if he had autographed it I would have it on Ebay before the ink dried. I really just wanted it to add to my collection in my humble studio.
Oh well ,maybe next time.

forgetfuljonesdw

Hung out with Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton, and the infamous Steven Tyler once in Atlantic City.  Tom Hamilton was one of the coolest cats ever!  I was so star struck I couldnt stop talking....anyhoo, I had this old bongo (thing looks like a toy) that I brought out on the road with me and I had Joey sign it...Awesome awesome personal collectable and one of the greatest memories I'll ever have!  

P.S. - Joey Kramer is a great, great Rock drummer I don't care what anyone thinks....

Chip Donaho

I had a few beers with Moony Lynn more than once at their ranch. He said, "Loretta is on the road paying for this place."  I got into an arguement with their daughter....She ran over my daughters new bicycle with her car. We almost got into a lawsuit because of it.... But a few beers with Moony, another bike, and everything was cool. Does that count?   ;D
I had several encounters with famous people during the '60s in Colorado. Famous people would come to entertain the troops, and being in the Army band I was often selected to play for them. I also had a rock band in my off duty hours. Our booking agent got us as a warm up band for several famous people. I think back and realize I've had a pretty interesting life for someone that's just "brushed" with fame. I turned down Prince before he changed his name....   :o   Even recently, oh well, so much for me .....    :-X    

chefdoug

Quote from: Drumodad on August 20, 2005, 12:08 PM
How about dissed by greatness.
I was just at the beach checking the waves,was hoping to get some surfing in with my son. Well its pretty flat,decided to go to the next beach to the East.
I`m driving along and I see Sir Paul and his wife riding bikes along the road. I turn around pull along side him ,hold up a drum head and ask if he could please autograph it for me."No way",he says. I say "ok, thanks anyway".
I guess he figured if he had autographed it I would have it on Ebay before the ink dried. I really just wanted it to add to my collection in my humble studio.
Oh well ,maybe next time.

Good thing it was flat, 'cause if was going off, I wouldn't even have turned the car around. A day of good waves might sometimes be harder to come by than Sir Paul riding a bike(especially here on the right coast). My brush with greatness this week was with Irene, Hurricane Irene that is!!

By the way, does his wife use a prosthetic leg to be able to ride a bike? I would assume that would have to be the case. I remember trying to pedal a bike with one leg as a kid just for fun......not easy, it's amazing what can be done nowadays.

Joe

Quote from: chefdoug on August 21, 2005, 04:20 AM
By the way, does his wife use a prosthetic leg to be able to ride a bike? I would assume that would have to be the case.

Even if it is, if you're using clipped pedals or the equivalent, you could manage with one leg.

KevinD

I was walking down the street last week by my apartment, coming the other way was Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono. (They still live in the Dakota which is at the other end of the block from my place. )

At first I thought John Lennon was headed toward me so I blinked,  and then I looked at the woman with him and realized it was Sean with a long beard and his mother.

I've seen them before but never this close.

Most people were oblivious to them, even the hippie trippy people across the street in the park singing  "Give Peace a Chance."

smoggrocks

kev, i recently caught a pic of sean and yoko, and i bugged-out at how much he looks like his dad. it's like an asian john lennon. truly a trip.

but what i really wanna know is -- how'd ya swing the upper west side, and drum-o-dad the hamptons?? drummers aren't supposed to live high on the hog!! :D

my most recent sighting was susan sarandon and son. she thought i was staring at her and shot me a look, but really i was just staring into nowhere.

i've seen lou reed, too, and was pleasantly surprised at how handsome he is. he always looks so beaten-up in pics.

and i waited on vanessa williams when i waitressed. she was soooo nice. good tipper.

i also waited on jeannine pirro. don't get me going on that one! ;)

[actually, she was extremely nice...]