• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Speaking of Sting

Started by Tony, November 04, 2004, 03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I have recently had the (dis)pleasure of having to spend an inordinate amount of time on the road for work, and have taken to exploring deep into my CD collection to break the monotony.  I came across Sting's first solo effort, "The Dream of the Blue Turtles" and popped it in.  The disc caused me to reflect on Omar Hakim's drumming, which is simply brilliant.  His talent and musical ability come across in such a subtle, tasteful way, along with his sense of groove, which is spot on.  It was interesting to reflect on how far I've come as a musician by listening to that album.  I can remember studying the chart to "Consider Me Gone", in Modern Drummer, and being amazed at what appeared to be so simplitic on paper had such power when played in the right context, a technique I am still trying to comprehend ;D

Anyway, if you haven't checked this CD out in a while, or at all, give it a listen, I think it will give a pleasent surprise.

srodgers

I actually dig out the old Bring on The Night concert video occasionally.  That was the early leg of the first Blue Turtles concert tour.  The live version of I burn For You is just tremendous.  The accompanied solo that Omar does during that song is just amazing.  He was one of my earlier influences back in the day.

Stan...

a surfr uc

Love the album! His groove in the beginning of "Shadows in the Rain" is suh-wheet! I agree with srodgers - that video is incredible. Omar's movement (much less his awesome chops) make him look so relaxed while playing 1,000,000 notes. The video is also good for a band to watch - shows a lot of comraderie and positivity.