• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Grinding!

Started by Andrew, August 26, 2002, 08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

I had a dentist appointment this weekend. I click my teeth when I'm listening to music and when I'm playing (I keep time by clicking my teeth together), and apparently I've caused a fair amount of damage to my bottom front teeth. The dentist smoothed them out and they feel a lot better. I was fitted for one of those "invisible" guards to wear during the day and at rehearsals. It hasn't come yet, but if anyone has this same problem I'll let you know how it works out.

Anyway, a heads-up -- your wrists and ears aren't the only parts of your body at risk.

Stidd

Andrew,
I Can relate my friend. However, my problem is not my teeth. When I play, I bite my lower lip without knowing it. My attention is on my drums and not the way I look while playing. When I'm done rehearsing, my lower lip is hurting pretty bad. The more I relax while behind the kit, the less I do this. I try and numb my mind if you will and relax while playing. This does alot for my playing as well and my lower lip. LOL..

Stidd

BAnimalG

I tend to chew gum while I play, unless I'm singing BG Vocals.  The only problem with this is that I tend to chew rather vigorously and my jaw hurts at the end of a gig.  Oh well.  lol.  I'll proabably end up wit TMJ from playing the drums.   :-\

Dark Drummer

i dont klick my teethe i grind them and my dentist is getting pissed at me lol it happends cause i tense up to muuch

dissonance

apparently I grind my teeth while I sleep...I still don't believe em ;)  I've yet to ever notice myself doing it...

Andreas

I play with my teeth to! The only problem is that one tooth (the hi-hat) has lost a lot of sharpness when I've played. But I can't help it.

Erwtje

Watch out with grinding!!! I'm a night-grinder myself (too relaxed behind the kit to force anything - but apparantly under great stress when I'm asleep) and my dentist made me wear a mouthguard (as used in sports) because grinding wears your teeth down badly!!!

(BTW Those mouthguards are cheap in a sportsstore and they work fine for me)