• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Venting

Started by Tiki, December 02, 2005, 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiki

Hello Gang, I'm looking for input on venting a bass drum.  I have ordered a new bass drum shell and was thinking about the hardware needed to complete it. Looking at the variety of vent fittings/grommets ect.. I was wondering what is really needed. After spending some time looking through MD to see what was being used I came across an ad for Monolith drums. I noticed they use slots for venting.
So does anyone here have a theory on this subject? The rest of my kit uses .5 inch vents and work well but with the new BD we are looking at moving a much more substantial amount of air. The new shell is 26X16.

Also any head recomendations? I like the powerstroke 3 on my current 22 inch BD so I was going to go with that but the larger size is new territory for me.

Thanks for sharing any info,Tiki out.........!

felix

Well my opinion on this is you probably don't need any venting on a bass drum if you like a port on the front head.

Now maybe you like a closed front head.  Is your kick a virgin?  If not maybe take out the tom arm mounting plate and see if you hear a difference with the larger hole in the shell.

Personally, even with a 26, I would NOT vent the shell or even worry about extra vents.  And personally I don't like the drying out effect that vents enhance.

I'm sure monolith has a good reason for their vents and if you like the sound of their drums go for it!  But I basically let the front head port and different sizes there of do the job of vents.