• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

? about conga patterns

Started by Matt Self (Gaddabout), April 14, 2007, 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

I've got the very rare percussion call tonight, but there's a chance I might be doing this coffee house gig on a semi-regular basis. He's singer/songwriter ... hard to describe his style. Sort of a Latino folk/balladeer with an American twist. He doesn't want a cocktail kit (too American for him, I suppose), so I've cobbled together two conga drums, bongos, three sizes of shakers, a Zildjian hand cymbal, a splash cymbal, etc. If I do this often, I'll probably look for something to play with my feet. Maybe something for clave, although it's not all Cuban stuff.

Besides the fact I'm an idiot savant percussionist (I've always been able to pick up stuff and do one thing with my right hand and another with my left), I know, like, two conga patterns. Everything else I play is ... well, they end up like the patterns I play on the toms on drum set. Not very hip. I've called the two best congeros I know in the area, and both of them are over-booked with lessons/gigs through the summer.

If anyone knows where I might find some cool patterns to get me by and not make look like such a gringo, I'd appreciate it!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

I just got back awhile go. Two mini-sets, three hours, no complaints. No compliments, either. I'm pretty sure if a real percussionist in the room, he might've frowned at my playing. Oh well.

Again, any books, DVDs, anything you think would help a beginner congero, that would be cool.

NRHarris

I've read about 10 books on Latin and Afro-cuban drumming, as well as having watched about that many DVDs and also that many instructional CDs. For what it is worth, my favorites are:

1. Ed Uribe's " http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1576236196?ie=UTF8&tag=drummercafe-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1576236196]The Essence of Afro-Cuban Percussion and Drum Set: Includes the Rhythm Section Parts for Bass, Piano, Guitar Horns & Strings (Paperback) "  (Book & 2 CDs)

2. Alan Dworsky's " http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786623462?ie=UTF8&tag=drummercafe-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0786623462]Mel Bay Conga Drumming: A Beginner's Guide to Playing With Time (Paperback) " (Book & 1CD)

3. Kim Atkinson's CD's on specific rhythms:
http://www.pulsewave.com/catalog/i_catalog.html

congaron

When in doubt, Tumbao.  I have also used a revised..souped up martillo (I know it's a bongo pattern).  Also son montuno...these three can be slightly modified to fit into just about anything, based on where in the measure you start them, etc.  Do a search on those three, or go to www.congaplace.com and do one...just have fun, it will work.

God bless!

-Ron

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: congaron on April 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
When in doubt, Tumbao.  I have also used a revised..souped up martillo (I know it's a bongo pattern).  Also son montuno...these three can be slightly modified to fit into just about anything, based on where in the measure you start them, etc.  Do a search on those three, or go to www.congaplace.com and do one...just have fun, it will work.

God bless!

-Ron

hehehe ... that's more or less what I'm doing right now. Just the shifting the patterns a quarter note when things get stale.

b-cero

........and for slower songs "bolero" (not the Ravel) is simple and effective, One thing to keep in mind when playing folk pop or other non clave based songs is    "do I want to impose the clave on this groove?"   .  Thats why a "martillo" or similar pattern fits well in those styles where you really want to keep good time and not confuse your bandmates you want to add some spice to the song but aren't making salsa!.    Also listen to the masters of  pop and crossover conga and percussion,  Paulino DeCostas' work with Traci Chapman comes to mind.

straps

All good suggestions.  Another thing I do when I get a latin-drums-on-a-non-or-semi-latin gig, and its just me with no drummer, is bring a hi-hat.  Your left foot knows how to tap a back beat, so let it.  It just makes simple two or three man accoustic gigs feel a little more comfortable for the musicians and the listeners.  They get something familiar to latch on to.  I usually bring a clave pedal as well, but I usually only play it on select songs with a strong beat and feel. 

MVanDoren1

Quote from: congaron on April 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
www.congaplace.com 

OK this site is ENTIRELY insane.  I feel about 2 inches tall now.  I've stated before that I've not studied much, was just kind of thrown into a situation many, many years ago where I had to play congas and have just recently (past couple years) began playing again.  I had NO idea there were so many "accepted" patterns.  I mean you can play infinite possibilities but really, that list is unreal.

chilledbongo

i will second what straps said, which is almost exactly what i do on most of my gigs. though i live in miami, i usually never get to play with latin players, only white guys with guitars. so i use a hihat on the left and a clave pedal on the right, with either a block or a cowbell attached. i use a quinto and a conga, bongos and a hand splash cymbal. you can make a pretty full sound with all that without a drummer. i also sometimes play the congas with rute sticks, which ends up sounding like im playing traps drums almost, especially when adding patterns on the splash cymbal and the hihat. this is how you can find some non latin patterns very easily. many dont realize you can play congas with sticks. 8)