• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

12th & Porter Closed - Nashville, TN

Started by Bart Elliott, May 23, 2007, 06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

One of Nashville's premiere and legendary clubs, http://www.12thandporterlive.com/]12th & Porter , was just shut down by the State of Tennessee for failure to pay taxes. Local news stations reported that the owners are looking for an investor to bail them out.

At this point, it is unclear whether the unpaid taxes are property tax or sales tax.

According to one source â€"who asked to not be quoted but confirmed connections to the venueâ€"the club's future is murkier than Long Island tea.

12th & Porter opened in 1984 at 114 12th Ave. N. It is of particular importance in the Americana and alternative country music worlds. Smaller than Exit/In yet with a sound system that rivals the city's best, it was the spot where Emmylou Harris and Townes Van Zandt chose to make live albums, and Danny Flowers ("Tulsa Time," "Back In My Younger Days") was scheduled to record a live DVD there today! If the tax situation is worked out, Flowers may be able to perform there.

Americana heavyweights including Buddy Miller, Lucinda Williams, Nanci Griffith and R.B. Morris have all graced the 12th & Porter stage. The venue closed in late 2004 but re-opened the next year. Since the room's re-opening, it has been in favor as a spot where record labels and publishing companies put on "showcases," which are early-evening performances meant to attract music industry-only crowds.

I've performed there on numerous ocassions ... one such time was with Rose Falcon last September.

Bart Elliott

Someone stepped forward with some money and bailed them out supposedly. I don't have any other details at this time ... because I haven't done any further investigation.  ;D

Joe

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 23, 2007, 06:35 AM
According to one source â€"who asked to not be quoted but confirmed connections to the venueâ€"the club's future is murkier than Long Island tea.
Someone stepped forward with some money and bailed them out supposedly.

I'm glad to hear it.  That must have been tighter than Joan River's face, and very nearly as frightening.