• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Show us your drum/perc set-up

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2008, 11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Sweet looking kit m8!

Maybe you can post a sound file, when you have them dialed in?

Have you seen the ultrasonic cleaners? The classic bike & car restorers use them a lot, I picked a small one up for $70.00, and it cleaned all the parts of my old Iron Cobras up a treat so I could put them on eBay

BEFORE

THE CLEANER

AFTER

It's an extremely gentle but powerful form of cleaning using bubbles..

It would do you lugs a treat & without any real hard polishing work too  ;D

Cheers

:)

N
P.S. I also replaced all 8 bearings in the pedals as well, nice easy job, much easier than I expected... (cheep too)

NY Frank

Quote from: felix on June 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Boyz and Girlz.  Here are the '82 sonor phonics I finished putting together last night.  I need some new top and bottom heads on the toms, but they have a lot of potential.  Super thick and warm tone with solid punch thru the cut.  Note Designer ferro snare.

Nice.  What are the sizes of the toms?

felix

NEWBIES NOTE:

Nick's Posts.  AWESOME.  Pics and sound files.  Pic or it didn't happen.  YO.

YOU ARE AWESOME BRO.

felix

frank, you have a new kit.  quit being a primadonna and show everybody

NY Frank

Quote from: felix on June 14, 2008, 12:42 AM
frank, you have a new kit.  quit being a primadonna and show everybody

Ok, Felix outted me.   :)

I flipped the short stack kit, and I'm now the owner of a Gretsch mahogany jazz kit
in natural satin finish.  But, it's very hard taking pictures of the kit where it
is.  I'll try.

felix

Frank, you have a digital camera- I know you do.

I'm getting to close to getting some recordings of my phonics.  I might even have something if last weekends endeavor worked.

Boy are they some LOUD drums with amazing tone.  I put my brand of heads on them and OMG.  Hey I gotta go.

Excuse my while I go play them ;D

Jim Martin (cavanman)

NY Frank,

Did you get one of the Catalina Club (Jazz) sets ala 12-14-14-18 inch?

Those look cool and I know they sound nice.

If so, I'm wondering what you laid out for it. I'm considering getting one eventually and I see them on eBay for approx. $600

Jim

Bart Elliott

This FIBES kit was back-line for a recent gig I had (Atlanta Fest), performing with world/ambient artist Mary-Kathryn. I brought my "ergonomic" Cable Hihat set-up, Djembe, Doumbec, cymbals, assorted percussion toys and one of my favorite Snare drums to date ... the YAMAHA 5x14 Bamboo Snare drum.

Dead Trooper

Man, Felix's Sonors are AWESOME. The bubinga set is just the greatest thing ever. Felix, you don't need cymbals with those, just play roundhouse fills all day.

felix

Looking good Bart and it looks like a nice place to play in the trees.

You really have a unique setup and yes your yammy bamboo is to die for.  Never get rid of that one!

Thanks Dead Trooper. My sonor kits are pretty amazing. I get to play out the phonics again this weekend which is really a surprisingly awesome sounding kit.   Having a 10" again has really gotten me more comfortable playing bigger fills which for the past couple of years I shyed away from.  But when your drums sound good and the music sounds good then it feels like it's the right thing to do.   And if it feels good we do it!

I would really like to pair them up with a steve smith signature cast steel snaredrum.  That would be the icing on the cake.  A sonor brother sent me a tool to fix the badge also!  Whoopay!

They are heavy drums but worth the schlepp. 

NY Frank

Quote from: cavanman on June 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
NY Frank,

Did you get one of the Catalina Club (Jazz) sets ala 12-14-14-18 inch?

Those look cool and I know they sound nice.

If so, I'm wondering what you laid out for it. I'm considering getting one eventually and I see them on eBay for approx. $600

Jim

I don't know how this stuff happens, but I missed all of these recent posts, otherwise I would have commented.

Yes, I am now playing a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, in the relatively new natural satin finish.  I wish I could post a photo, because I actually customized mine  :)   but I'm still stuck in a very small room, and it's very hard to photograph in it.

I actually converted my 14" floor tom to a suspended tom by having Precision Drum cut it
in half.  Yeah - I imagine that sounds insane to some, but, that's a natural
configuration to me.

IMHO, these kits are a steal for the price.  I really love this kit.

Cavanman - typical price for these kits is close to $600.  I see some dealers selling it With hardware for that price and some Not.  But, if you want a shell kit only, as I did, you can catch these kits as low as 500 - 530, depending on what finish you want. 
If you want more info on how to snag a kit without spending $600, PM me.

Filacteria

A recent picture in the recording studio:

A layout diagram numbering the parts:

A - 5x14 Blacro or 5.5x14 Birch Starclassic
B - 10x9
C - 12x10
D - 14x11
E - 22x16

(Sonor S-Class Maple)

1 - 14" rock hi-hats
2 - 17" rock custom crash
3 - 16" Raw China
4 - 18" China Pang
5 - 22" Rock Ride
6 - 21" Crash Ride

(Istanbul Agop Alchemy & Traditional)

Cheers!

metalhed110

Quote from: skinbeatergreg on February 06, 2008, 12:09 AM

Pork Pie 4 pc in blue sparkle wrap, white powdercoat & Paiste 2000s

Great looking kit. Pork Pie always has great looking stuff.

Dead Trooper

Check out how little floorspace Filacteria's kit takes up. That is some smart, practical set up. It's a Gibraltar rack, right Carlos?

Ryan

Quote from: Dead Trooper on July 09, 2008, 04:09 PM
It's a Gibraltar rack, right Carlos?

It is, you can see the Gib- in the picture.

TheArchitect

Quote from: New York Frank on July 04, 2008, 10:19 PM
I don't know how this stuff happens, but I missed all of these recent posts, otherwise I would have commented.

Yes, I am now playing a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit, in the relatively new natural satin finish.  I wish I could post a photo, because I actually customized mine  :)   but I'm still stuck in a very small room, and it's very hard to photograph in it.

I actually converted my 14" floor tom to a suspended tom by having Precision Drum cut it
in half.  Yeah - I imagine that sounds insane to some, but, that's a natural
configuration to me.

IMHO, these kits are a steal for the price.  I really love this kit.

Cavanman - typical price for these kits is close to $600.  I see some dealers selling it With hardware for that price and some Not.  But, if you want a shell kit only, as I did, you can catch these kits as low as 500 - 530, depending on what finish you want. 
If you want more info on how to snag a kit without spending $600, PM me.

Those are nice kits. I paid $600 for min in white pearl. The snare has been replaced with a 60's acro and I an still experimenting with heads on the kick. It sounds great and is quite a bang for the buck kit.

Adam

Hi all. 

Here are a couple pics of my kit.

I've been working on this kit for the past year after deciding that 15 years of playing my old Mapex Mars series and cheap Sabian B8 cymbals was enough.

Standard Issue Gretsch Catalina Club Mod

-14" Paiste Twenty hats (Amazing, best hats I've ever heard or played)
-20" Paiste Medium Heavy Traditional Ride (Beautifully Dark)
-Cracked 16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash (Still sounds pretty decent even with a big flapping crack)
-18" AA Medium Crash (Obnoxiously God Awful crash that only sounds good for very loud rock music.)
-A closed mini HiHat made from a hopelessly destroyed 7" AAX splash sandwiched with an old Zildjian crash that I had cut down to the bell after breaking it.

DW Hardware with Iron Cobra beaters on the 5002.  Works like a charm.

As you can see I'm still working on replacing my crashes but it's coming along nicely.

Tim van de Ven

At Studio Victor in Montréal, recording for Amanda Mabro:

Drums:    Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau
               9x12, 14x14, 15x18
Snare:     Pearl Ultracast 5x14
Cymbals:  Paiste Giant Beat (24", 20", 18")
                Paiste 15" 2002 Heavy Hi Hats (black label)

felix

Such huge cymbals and tiny drums... hard for me to get my head around.    You obviously make them work for you!

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: felix on July 23, 2008, 09:00 AM
Such huge cymbals and tiny drums... hard for me to get my head around.    You obviously make them work for you!

;D

I love the Giant Beat Series; I've been using them for 90% of my gigs since September 2005!

I did the big cymbal-little drum thing as well; little drums are easier to transport to the gig!

And I have no trouble getting "my sound" out of smaller drums.