Topic: Show us your drum/perc set-up  (Read 121870 times)

Offline Bryan Van Donslear

• Copper Member
  • I'm new to the Drummer Cafe!
Re: Show us your drum/perc set-up
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Ludwig Standards from late 60's or early 70's. I am not able to come up with an exact date.

22/16/13
14x5 Supraphonic (Not original to kit)

Cymbals in flux.

Offline Matthew Warwick

• Copper Member
  • Real Men Love Jesus
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35 PM »
As I said, I don't have any pictures, but I do have a video that I posted on here a while back. Here it is again:

]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcN9jVUeVc

You can't see the full kit, but I'll post the specs below.

Drums: Tama Rockstar Custom in Custom Charcoal Finish

22x16 Kick Drum
14x5.5 Snare Drum
12x10 Rack Tom
13x11 Rack Tom (Floor tom in the video but now put back as a rack tom)
16x16 Floor Tom

I also have 2 Tama Steel Mini Timbales (6x4 and 8x4) but I don't have them set up right now. As mentioned before, I'm currently working on my playing skills rather than buying new equipment, but after I've seen adequate improvement in myself I want to upgrade my snare drum. The one I'm looking into is the Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare in 14x6.5. Sometime in the future when I have more room I'd love to add one of Tama's 20" Gong bass drums in as a large second floor tom. I love how those things sound! I'm not sure though because although I intend to keep this drumset forever, I might want to upgrade to a Starclassic Bubinga or something like that someday, and I might just get the Gong drum with that and use my current set as a travel kit or something. I also might get other snare drums for different sounds, but I'm not sure what those others would be at this time.

Cymbals: Different Sabians and Paistes

13" B8 Hi-hats
20" B8 Pro Power Rock Ride
16" Dimensions Power Crash
10" PST5 Splash
17" AAX X-plosion Crash

I also have a 16" O-zone effects crash, but I don't have it set up in the video or right now. Also, the second crash in the video was a Pro 18" Studio(?) Crash. I cracked it years ago though and I replaced it last Christmas with the X-plosion crash. As mentioned in the cymbal setup thread, I want to eventually get a third crash (most likely a 15" Paiste Signature Fast Crash) and a second splash (not sure yet which one) as well as upgrade my ride and hi-hat (21" Sabian HH Raw Bell Ride and 13" Sabian AAX X-celerator hats, respectively). I'll probably keep the old hi-hat and ride as extras or something.

Heads: Aquarian and Evans

Kick: Aquarian SK1 on Batter and Black Regulator with small hole on resonant
Snare: Evans EC2 with dot on batter and Aquarian CC Snare side on resonant
Toms: Evans EC2 clears on batters and Aquarian Hi-frequencies on resonants

I currently have a clear Evans hydraulic batter on my 13" tom which is out of commission because I need to get a new starcast tom mount (the current one doesn't have the pads on the mounting part of it and the tom loses resonance when mounted on a stand). I need to get new heads for the mini-tymps when I set them back up and I'm thinking just 1-ply coated heads will do great on those. As far as a gong drum goes, I'm thinking maybe the Evans hydraulic blue would do well on that. I heard a sample of that head on a gong drum on youtube and it sounded awesome.

Hardware: Assorted

DW 4000 Double Pedal (has been a single for 5 years since it broke tho, lol)
Tama Iron Cobra Velo Guide Hi-hat stand
Assorted stands (PDP, Sound Percussion, Dixon (knockoff brand?))
Tama Clamps
Crappy Throne by Sunlite (lol)

I don't know if I'll ever get a rack mount when I add on a couple more cymbals and drums or if I'll just stick with stands. Either way, though, I want to get rid of the Sound Percussion stand because it's a big bulky one I traded a PDP 800 stand for to one of my friends (big, stupid mistake). The Dixon actually works well despite being a possible knockoff brand. If I get a rack I'm not sure if it'll be a Gibraltar or PDP. I have a crappy throne I had with my first kit like 9 years ago. I'd like to upgrade my pedal to a DW5000 Turbo sometime as well as upgrade my throne to a Roc-n-Soc padded throne with nitro lift.

Offline Cory Bart

• Copper Member
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Brushed Metallic Black
22x20 Bass Drum
13x6 Snare
12x7 Rack Tom
14x12 Floor Tom
16x14 Floor Tom

CYMBALS:
14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
17" Sabian X-Plosion Crash
18" Sabian X-Plosion Fast Crash
20" Zildjian ZBT Ride

Offline Poh Soon Teng

• Copper Member
    • pohsoonteng
« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2013, 06:26 PM »
My main gigging kit... :)
 http://www.pohsoonteng.com/the-poh-litely.html]http://www.pohsoonteng.com/the-poh-litely.html

www..pohsoonteng.com

Offline Michael Bettine

• Copper Member
« Reply #264 on: October 14, 2013, 02:01 PM »
As Monty Python used to say, "And now for something completely different." I performed a full concert on just Gongs/Bells/Singing Bowls/Sound Plates/Cymbals etc. in a beautiful old church yesterday. The sound was wonderful. I played my own compositions and a few improvisations. Much fun despite the hectic set up.

Here is my full set up for the day:

Next time I'll post some drums…

Offline Scot Holder

• Cafe VIP
  • Take that, Schenectady!
Show us your drum/perc set-up
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Michael,

That has to be one of the coolest set ups I've seem in a while. Would love to hear it...

Offline Lewis Digges

• Copper Member
    • lewis.digges
    • Mumfordian
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2013, 04:43 PM »
New to these forums and wanted to share my drum set with everyone.

My drums are a CB Drums/Percussion drum set which I bought as a 5 piece back in June 1995. As you can see I have added on to it since then to include 2 10 inch toms, a 15 inch tom and another 16 inch floor tom. This picture is from 4 years ago but since this picture I'm now using Evans EC2 Coated heads on the toms and Evans G2 on the snare and a coated Evans EMAD on the bass drum and Genera Resonant Clears (Glass) on the resonant heads except for the front (CB Drums logo). I also use Zildjian cymbals with a complete set of Zildjian ZHT's and an assortment of A Zildjians, K Zildjians, A Customs, K Customs and Z Customs with a few ZBT's thrown in.

Here it is from the front.

Here's the full view of the drums.

And here is me playing:

Offline Poh Soon Teng

• Copper Member
    • pohsoonteng
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2013, 12:26 AM »
From my gig at Ruby Skye, San Francisco...
www..pohsoonteng.com

Offline MOUSE

• Cafe VIP
  • Hit me with rhythm, there is no pain.
    • Neil
« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2013, 03:58 AM »
Current set up of my Granstars, snare is a Chad Smith, new cymbals are Paiste Full dark signature 20" ride, K Custom hybrid 18 crash, Sabian el-sabor splash, nice Paiste Twenty 18" china (not shown), K hihats ...loving them.

http://]
Tama Granstar

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23 PM »
A few Ludwigs.

Offline metalshredder

• Silver Member
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Crush 5pc Clear with light kit, Pearl Reference 5pc Granite Sparkle, Pearl Free Floating Brass Snare, OCDP 14x7 25-ply snare, Paiste Cymbals, Tama Iron Cobra pedals

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2017, 09:16 AM »
(Apologies for dredging up an old thread.)

Like many others here, I'm sure, I'll use different setups for different performance situations.  To minimize my self-indulgent tendencies, I'll keep this to two:  one from a symphony "pops" concert a few years ago, and another from a steel band gig earlier this year.

"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2017, 07:46 AM »
Nice drum set-ups, James!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram